2024-2025 Sheep Showing

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
So I convince Cassandra a more subdued pink would be easier to read. I also added missing header "Challenges" and reorganized blocks on Slide 3. There is a lot of hand wavy mathematics on cost slides since I didn't separate anything. Going forward, I think I will have a separate 55gal drum to hold show sheep feed. It's done except taking a couple posed pictures for last slide.

Slide3rev1.PNG

Last edited:

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay! Final version is submitted for grading.

Attachments

• Ballard_junior_btr 2024.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 31

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
record books used to be my fear. But every time i start my project I make a google sheets and organize it in 4 categories, feed, non feed but disposal, inventory (reusable next year), and medical.
I list what I got, where it’s from, how much it was, and the date.

Attachments

• IMG_3486.jpeg
    IMG_3486.jpeg
    228.9 KB · Views: 9

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
First year issues... these are all first year issues... next year will be smoother... :he
All day emailing back and forth with the ag extension office and KHSI registry. I need to have KHSI remove the farm name from Cassandra's profile and reissue Certs for Oreo and Socks. Yes, the one I just paid $6.50 for and not even received yet. So glad registry prices are cheap.

:th

Why, you ask? The Certificate prints Owner: Farm Name Owner Name Owner Town so
Owner: Griffin Wood Ranch Cassandra Ballard Cleburne, TX
if the farm owned ewe it would be
Owner: Griffin Wood Ranch Griffin Wood Ranch Cleburne, TX
but it looks wrong to ag people...

The reissued version for Socks will be:
Breeder: Cassandra Ballard Cleburne, TX
Owner: Cassandra Ballard Cleburne, TX

Last edited:

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Her records look really good. She is in the junior age division so the judges will not be looking for too complicated cost sheets. Eventually as she graduates into senior age classes she will have more extensive records to show. You don't have to keep the feed separate, just know approximately how much each animal is eating - i.e. 1 bale of hay for x number of animals lasts x number of days. Each animal eats approximately so much of the bale = x per animal. That way you can just add up all your feed receipts and do the equation to reach the $ amount per animal. It WILL get easier!

You are right to do the ownership name changes now because when she enters youth shows the certificates MUST show ownership in her name. The sheep can be shown in open shows (adult shows) when owned by her as well, but the rules for youth shows are strict. Since you are her agent when entering shows, breeding, etc. you can sign all certificates for the registry anyway, but ownership must be in the youth owner's name. This will be more important as her herd grows and she begins to enter group classes like Get of Sire, Produce of Dam, Herd, etc. These will be the money classes in shows (fairs) that pay premiums. :)

Where is the show she is going to be in? DH decided not to go to CA for his golf tournament so maybe we can come to cheer for her.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
4H validation for all the fall shows is June 26th which is why I found about the paperwork issue.

Having people show up would make her day! These are the next 2 big events.
5/31 Friday: Showmanship clinics & productions show at 4021 W TX-22, Corsicana, TX 75110. I don't have exact times yet.
8/16-25: North Texas Open Breeding sheep show in Denton. Info isn't up yet.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Will try to make the May show. Looks like Corsicana is about 2-3 hours away so easy to make by show time.

August 16 is my birthday, and I was going to ask DH to take us to the Denton show (only about an hour away) but remembered that I am having a partial knee replacement surgery on the other knee in California on July 8 so probably will be in CA for that one. :( Although, if this cough doesn't go away the surgeon won't agree to put me under for the surgery. Also, the idea that I may have a coughing spasm while the surgeon is doing some delicate cutting does not appeal to me either. LOL

The May show is going on the calendar. :)