The journey into the abyss of no return

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not a farmer by any stretch of the imagination - but you could get a soil test kit and check the nutrient level of where you want to plant so you at least have a baseline of the NPK to give you an idea of what you're working with and what/how you may want to fertilize/improve the soil. In my kitchen garden it made a WORLD of difference. @farmerjan think this is a good idea??

Weldman

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Coffee is ready. Watching Houston news. Downtown skyscrapers had those big plates of glass blown off. Traffic lights were blown off the wires. Streets are closed, mayor is telling people to stay home

:hide:hide:hide:\:\:\:idunno:idunno:idunno:fl:fl:fl:fl

Type of soil, and temp may be why they can grow corn.... and amount of water of course... If they are "down the road" are they at a lower elevation? Sometimes that can be the make or break. Your soil and and type of topsoil will determine some of it... Not at all saying you can't grow it... Corn can be picky... for a successful, even a decent drop.... check the PH.... soil sample....

Corn is grown alot of places... Get a short days variety for your shorter season, and there are drought tolerant varieties developed... get a variety for YOUR AREA. If you are on decent terms with the neighbor, stop and ask them what would grow decent .... make it known you are NOT competing with them, just want to grow some for your own animals....some farmers don't divulge info if they see a competition.
Since our properties aren't flat and the ground doesn't absorb water well due to clay content, there will be about 80 acres of water coming off the ridge and that's where its going to in a rock drain and then that will flow to a pond. To top it off it I will seal it with the bacon bits as the corn is growing, and when the corn has grown and been picked I will release the bacon bits in to mow it down and fertilize it. While they are doing that come summer of 2025 I will grow to the other side of it and do rotational crops. Don't worry I will run the rows perpendicular to the slope of the land.
Not a farmer by any stretch of the imagination - but you could get a soil test kit and check the nutrient level of where you want to plant so you at least have a baseline of the NPK to give you an idea of what you're working with and what/how you may want to fertilize/improve the soil. In my kitchen garden it made a WORLD of difference. @farmerjan think this is a good idea??
I do have those soil test kits, the wife uses them for her garden. We grow okra, snow peas, asparagus, snap beans, potatoes, onions of all colors, romaine lettuce, spinach, kale, peppers, thyme, rosemary, catnip and sage out here. Might of missed a thing or two, but it's what she does in raised garden beds.

Long long time ago about 34 plus years ago as a kid I started my first job on the rice farms at age 10 and worked them amongst other crops for about 7 years before getting my first job in the corporate world. Some days pulling weeds in a 800 acre field, other days driving the tractor or helping turn a wrench. I try explaining to my wife what I know, but it just isn't getting through till after the fact I'm done with whatever and it's like ohhhh.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lol, now you've done it. The BYH'ers are trying to vicariously grow corn in your situation through you. Now they're all invested and trying to stack you up to succeed as if you'd need what they'd need. Your corn will have a whole bunch of farmers willing it to grow now. So it has to happen now, right? Enabling is fun for everyone! Good luck making your ground fruitful. I'll take note. I've lived in Iowa and surrounded by farmers my whole life but I have never had a successful corn harvest. Maybe I'll learn something.

Weldman

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Lol, now you've done it. The BYH'ers are trying to vicariously grow corn in your situation through you. Now they're all invested and trying to stack you up to succeed as if you'd need what they'd need. Your corn will have a whole bunch of farmers willing it to grow now. So it has to happen now, right? Enabling is fun for everyone! Good luck making your ground fruitful. I'll take note. I've lived in Iowa and surrounded by farmers my whole life but I have never had a successful corn harvest. Maybe I'll learn something.

I tend to lead well and can gather a militia to work together despite their indifference's, it's actually scary.
Today was a perfect example, thinking about all the rock I need to move in 3 miles of road. The guy wanted me to drive to town, pay for the rock, bring it home and spread it for $200.
Let's break that down $140 for rock, $60 for fuel or more, and lets not include the wear and tear on tires of over 100 trips driving about 7000 miles down gravel road.
So I got to thinking about my predicament of I also need 13 more loads of rock out of 16 on a current job and I only got 3 in past 2 months that caused me to shut down one of my business sides.
I got the person who I lost my 5 ton to over the ridge a few weeks back to agree to $100 per a load of rock from his place which is next door to one of my properties, the guy who wants this done to accept the less than acceptable rock since it's not uniformed in size, then I got the people at the entrance who I fixed their truck in my pole barn to help by pushing any rock that might not spread right coming out of my dump truck and I got a place to put my rig and machinery for the day or if something breaks along with if I need a ride back to my house, I got another person that lives part time out here going to chip in on funds. So that's us 5 neighbors working as a community, got 4 more to go, but that's what I did today.

Weldman

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Getting neighbors together to get things done really does take leadership.
Yeah especially when most hate each other, others don't know the other and I don't like most of them myself as they don't like me either. What is going to be the real challenge, I'm going to try and reign in the crazy one using her boy toy and put a end to this shenanigans.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah especially when most hate each other, others don't know the other and I don't like most of them myself as they don't like me either. What is going to be the real challenge, I'm going to try and reign in the crazy one using her boy toy and put a end to this shenanigans.
Now that sounds good - at the very least interesting! 🤞

Latest posts