Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sac looks normal. Having had both his CDT shots you don't have to worry about tetanus. The important thing when banding rams/bucks is to make sure that the urethra is not caught in the band. If he is peeing normally it's ok.

You can feel the urethra like a thin cord above the testicles. Just make sure that you don't catch that in the band when castrating with an elastrator. If you do, or are not sure, just cut the band and try again.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
He is probably fine. Usually more irritating when the band first goes on. You will see the little bucks/rams lifting dirst one back leg then the other like they don't know what that is. After a few hours they stop. The testes are numb and they don't seem to feel them anymore.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and info!

Yes, he is urinating fine

Do you think it’s painful/irritating? Two days after his banding, he has begun to bleat more and more….. Is this just because of the band?

Also, do you think that is blood or feces on his testes, in the right pic?

The breeder, whom I purchased my buckling from, banded him.
I only ever had one banded buckling.

And yes, I thought he made more noise and was uncomfortable for days..

That is probably a bit of blood on that last picture. It does get a bit unsightly at top as it all dies and then falls off.

Because I so strongly disliked the banding... we went with cutting out testicles.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
A lot of people prefer cutting but in hot areas you get more flies. I don't like open sores any time but mainly in the summer heat. If the tests are dried up and ready to fall off, and they get knocked a bit it may bleed a bit like knocking a scab. Everyone has their preferences how they like to castrate.