Emergency please

BellaM

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My doe has just delivered a stillborn kid. She's now just lying down. She was panting but appears to be calmer.

I've given her some molasses in water.

I don't know what to do next?

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like she may have another kid to deliver. Hang in there and relax.

BellaM

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Remove the dead kid. Check here vagina for any resenting feet. Watch to see if she passes the afterbirth. If she doesn't pass the afterbirth, she might still have another kid in her.
I have removed the kid, I don't see anything in the vagina.
My doe is eating so I'm going to take that as a good sign.
I'll keep watch for the placenta 👍.
If there isn't another kid and no placenta - it's 9:30PM here, can it wait for the morning for the vet?

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
If there is another kid in her, she will be uneasy, try to push, and look unhappy. If there is another kid in her you will have to help by pulling out the kid that may be stuck. Look online at pictures of what the kid should look like in utero, and try to imagine what the different parts feel like. Use an antibacterial liquid soap t lubricate your hand and gently put your fingers into the vagina. If there is a stuck kid it will normally be hung up right behind the pelvic bones. If you don't feel anything inside beyond the pelvic bones there is probably not a kid still in her. If you do feel something like a hard lump just at the pelvis, try to determine what part of the kid's body it is. Then find a leg and gently get the hoof out. Find the head and get the nose out then find other leg and get that out too. Once these are at the pelvic opening, you can pull on the legs and ease the kid out. Unless she definitely has another kid inside and doesn't deliver it, call the vet out tomorrow morning.

It there was only one kid, she passes the placenta, and is eating normally there is no need for a vet.

BellaM

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If there is another kid in her, she will be uneasy, try to push, and look unhappy. If there is another kid in her you will have to help by pulling out the kid that may be stuck. Look online at pictures of what the kid should look like in utero, and try to imagine what the different parts feel like. Use an antibacterial liquid soap t lubricate your hand and gently put your fingers into the vagina. If there is a stuck kid it will normally be hung up right behind the pelvic bones. If you don't feel anything inside beyond the pelvic bones there is probably not a kid still in her. If you do feel something like a hard lump just at the pelvis, try to determine what part of the kid's body it is. Then find a leg and gently get the hoof out. Find the head and get the nose out then find other leg and get that out too. Once these are at the pelvic opening, you can pull on the legs and ease the kid out. Unless she definitely has another kid inside and doesn't deliver it, call the vet out tomorrow morning.

It there was only one kid, she passes the placenta, and is eating normally there is no need for a vet.
Thank you, and to everyone who replied - much appreciated! 🤗

She passed the placenta and is doing fine this morning, although she is sad (and p*ssed at me).

I've had goats for 5 years, and this is the first time I've had something go wrong and it would be when I'm alone and it's at night 🙄. I've done a lot of reading about birthing and I re-read Story's Guide when my does are due but wow?! there's nothing like being at the coalface!

Take care everyone 🤗🩷