Ewe limping after LA200 IM injection

Mrs.Gray1211

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi y'all - This isn't exactly an emergency, just curious if this is normal. Long story short, we adopted a ewe we did not know was pregnant when we got her. She is less than a year old and very small IMO. She went into labor on Tuesday early morning (2:30 am) and labored for hours before we found her. Both babies were stillborn. We gave our ewe an injection of LA 200 IM in her rear right flank yesterday. Today, she is limping, favoring her rear right leg. We've never noticed this behavior in any of our other sheep after injection, but she is our youngest. I imagine it's sore, like when I get my flu shot, can anyone confirm that limping is a common side effect?
Thank you!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Limping after any shot is not uncommon. LA200 or 300 or actually any other injection should be given SUBQ... under the skin... rather than in muscle if at all possible... there are a few that specifically state IM only but very few. LA 200 and any of the oxytet's burns when it is given... but they will "get over it easier" if done subq..... I had a calf not feeling well and gave him a shot in the neck area subq... he walked around shaking his neck/head due to the burning, for about 10-15 minutes, but then it stopped hurting and he has gotten past it. In the muscle can cause it to be sore and burning feeling longer.
Sorry she had dead lambs but might be best for her to grow and breed back when she is older.

Mrs.Gray1211

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Limping after any shot is not uncommon. LA200 or 300 or actually any other injection should be given SUBQ... under the skin... rather than in muscle if at all possible... there are a few that specifically state IM only but very few. LA 200 and any of the oxytet's burns when it is given... but they will "get over it easier" if done subq..... I had a calf not feeling well and gave him a shot in the neck area subq... he walked around shaking his neck/head due to the burning, for about 10-15 minutes, but then it stopped hurting and he has gotten past it. In the muscle can cause it to be sore and burning feeling longer.
Sorry she had dead lambs but might be best for her to grow and breed back when she is older.
Thank you! I was thinking that was the case but was hoping to have someone confirm 😌
The Zoetis website advises: "For intramuscular or subcutaneous administration in cattle, and intramuscular administration in sheep and swine at the single dose rate of 1 mL per 10 kg body weight, thus providing 20 mg oxytetracycline per kg body weight." which is why we've always done it IM. Any other injection we give SUBQ. We've given this other times to other sheep, but this poor girl has been through a lot so it makes sense. Poor thing... she's getting all of my sympathy right now :hit

Mrs.Gray1211

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Also- absolutely agree 💯 We do not, as a common practice, breed that young. But we adopted her from another ranch and we were unaware she was pregnant. Though she’s such a sweetie, I bet we still would have taken her even if we knew ☺️

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Give her some Nutridrench for sheep. 3 or 4 pumps in her mouth. It’s vitamins and molasses based. It will give her a boost. I have sheep that love it and will mob me for it. LOL