First time sheep owner!!

IndianOak

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello: I have been tossing around getting sheep for a little while now, well my brother-in-law is giving me 2 baby Southdown Babydoll Sheep. I am getting ready to put up a pen and expand my pasture area. I will also be getting a Ram at some point. My question is: I am building a 12' x 16' enclosed pen for the sheep. I am assuming that is large enough for the 3 plus any birthing from them... If so, how should I lay out the inside to accommodate a general area, birthing pens and feed/supply storage. I already have a pole barn for hay storage. Your input is greatly appreciated!

BrahmerQueen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hello: I have been tossing around getting sheep for a little while now, well my brother-in-law is giving me 2 baby Southdown Babydoll Sheep. I am getting ready to put up a pen and expand my pasture area. I will also be getting a Ram at some point. My question is: I am building a 12' x 16' enclosed pen for the sheep. I am assuming that is large enough for the 3 plus any birthing from them... If so, how should I lay out the inside to accommodate a general area, birthing pens and feed/supply storage. I already have a pole barn for hay storage. Your input is greatly appreciated!
Personally I would have a whole separate pen/enclosure for the ram and a separate spot to store feed, the 12' x 16' for the ewes would probably be fine if you are constantly making sure it is clean, is that the only pen they will have or will they be in a larger pasture during the day?

BrahmerQueen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Personally I would have a whole separate pen/enclosure for the ram and a separate spot to store feed, the 12' x 16' for the ewes would probably be fine if you are constantly making sure it is clean, is that the only pen they will have or will they be in a larger pasture during the day?
And you could probably keep the ram with the ewes all the time if you didn't care what time of year they got bred, and when they had lambs then you'd probably want to have the ram separate in case he is mean to the lambs

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
What @BrahmerQueen said. Separate pen for the ram. I raise Katahdin hair sheep and the ram lambs start breeding before 3 months old, so I wean them at 2 months. Your baby ewes will be too young, so they must be separated.

Some kind of shelter will me necessary from rain and heat, for shade. I moved to a new place almost 2 years ago, still don’t have a barn, so I threw up cow panel hoop shelters, covered with a tarp, and Pallet Palaces. A barn is in the future.

Whate are you located?

IndianOak

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I can move the feed elsewhere to give more room. They will be in pasture during the day and will mainly be in the pen at night. Why does the ram need to be separate? The person I'm getting them from has had sheep for about 15 years or more and I never saw a separate area for the ram.

BrahmerQueen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I can move the feed elsewhere to give more room. They will be in pasture during the day and will mainly be in the pen at night. Why does the ram need to be separate? The person I'm getting them from has had sheep for about 15 years or more and I never saw a separate area for the ram.
Like @Baymule said you if you have a ram while the ewes are still very young you don't want him to breed them when they are still really young and small, and once they are old enough and they can have babies you probably don't want to keep the ram with them after they have them to prevent him injuring one, and if he is the type that's going to chase and head butt them while they are pregnant you would want him separate then too.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some rams get possessive over the ewes and will charge you. Or just walk up nonchalantly and butt you. Especially children.

I have calm rams, but they get stupid sometimes. You have to KNOW the signs that trouble is on the way and you don’t KNOW. With time, you will learn, but you don’t know it now. The ram will need a friend, a wether. That’s a castrated ram.

Then you need to learn the subtle signs. A Ram will test you with a little push. You do nothing, the next one may hurt you. I slap my ram on his nose. Anywhere else on his head is an invitation to fight.

To achieve dominance, make the other one move his feet. You win. But he’ll be back.

Not all rams are rammy. But if you ignore the little things you are teaching him it’s ok to run you down. I’ve had really sweet rams, but they tested me and got slapped, yelled at and I chased them off.

Ewes should be no less than 8 months old before breeding and may need 20 months to a year. Then after birthing, they need a break, especially if they lost condition.

The Southdown Baby Doll may be seasonal breeders. Ask to find out.

Latest posts