Is Diarrhea a sign of labor?

WildwoodGoats

Just born
Reaction score
Hello, I went out to the barn to visit my very pregnant doe has had some diarrhea. It's not pure liquid, but it's not the normal pellets either.

Is this a sign that she is close to labor, or did I maybe give her too many handfuls of sweet feed yesterday? I always give her a little treat of sweet feed when I visit her, because I am in her face all the time checking on her. I also took her on a long walk yesterday, so she got forage and plenty of hay yesterday too.

She has loose minerals available and the only change that I have made is that I started her on Tums the day before yesterday.

I read that I can give her some water with molasses and cider vinegar to help keep her electrolytes up.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

madcow

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
How many diarrheal stools has she had since you noticed it? If is's only 1 or 2, I wouldn't be too worried about it, like with people, that few won't matter. Are you sure it's stool and not mucus? Colored mucus would be a sign of labor, but not sure about diarrhea. :idunno

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Diarrhea is not a sign of labor. If she just started with the diarrhea, it could be something she ate and her body is flushing it out. If she was here, I would give her some Probios to see if that would help settle her tummy and watch her for a day or so.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
lilhill said:
Diarrhea is not a sign of labor. If she just started with the diarrhea, it could be something she ate and her body is flushing it out. If she was here, I would give her some Probios to see if that would help settle her tummy and watch her for a day or so.
X2

WildwoodGoats

Just born
Reaction score
Thank you for the responses. Her diarrhea seems to be gone now. I think I may have given her too many treats yesterday. Thanks for all the tips. No babies yet....