Oregano oil

aylssa21

Just born
Reaction score
I have a horse that tends to get cellulitis in the spring and befor id turn to uniprim as her antibiotic. However I've read oregano oil has had the same affect is this true? If so what's the dosage? Itself take oregano oil for many things.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
One study found that oregano oil was effective against a range of bacteria, including E. coli and Staphylococcus.....also holy basil (tulsi) has some effect on various bacterial. And good old gold Listerine...👍

You'd want to consider reduction in a carrier oil to reduce the burning sensation of full strength. Oregano oil is used in water for drinking for many chicken issues. I'd sure try it. All are good for hot spots, too.

aylssa21

Just born
Reaction score
One study found that oregano oil was effective against a range of bacteria, including E. coli and Staphylococcus.....also holy basil (tulsi) has some effect on various bacterial. And good old gold Listerine...👍

You'd want to consider reduction in a carrier oil to reduce the burning sensation of full strength. Oregano oil is used in water for drinking for many chicken issues. I'd sure try it. All are good for hot spots, too.
I'm currently giving her 8ml 2x a day do you think this dosage is a good starting point? and yes I use olive oil

Gold Listerine?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep, topically the original gold Listerine was developed as antibacterial, not mouthwash. I've cotton daubed it on dog, cat & horse skin issues with good healing & itch control.

Oregano oil is anti bacterial, anti fungal, anti inflammatory....plus many other things. Topically it will knock out ringworm, athletes foot & toenail fungus in fast order. Does the cellulitis spot on your horses skin? You could apply topically. Or make you own, milder version than commercial steam extraction, by crushing oregano leaves and submerging in warm oil, cover a let sit for couple weeks.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Why do you think your horse HAS an infection?

What have you used in the past? Apparently, has had something 🤷 since you're asking.

Do you then use probiotics after course of meds?