Proper feeding of Nigerian Dwarf wethers

CincyFarmGirl

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I currently only have two Nigerian dwarf goat wethers as pets. They are three years old now. My concern is what they are eating. They have access to Orchard grass hay on a continual basis. I also give them each a small amount of pellets and sweet feed in the morning and then again once in the evening before bedtime. They also have appropriate goat treats occasionally. They have continuous access to in a green pasture and during the day I often let them out to free range. I also give them minerals and copper and baking soda.
Lately, they don’t seem very interested in the orchard grass hay. Nor do I see them ruminating as much as I think they should be. I noticed that they’re stripping the bark off of a few locust trees that are in the pasture, and they’ve already stripped the bark off of two smoke bushes that were near the barn.
I know that goats are browsers, but I’m wondering how much access do they need to leafy bushes? what suggestions do you have about their eating situation?

Attachments

• IMG_0843.jpeg
    IMG_0843.jpeg
    502.9 KB · Views: 21

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
This time of year the trees are "awakening" for spring and the bark is full of nutrients moving. Now a goat loves bark! Other leaves, weeds, grasses are emerging and are a delight to their taste buds. If it's out there for them, they'll eat it. They are plenty fat, good coats, you're doing fine. 👍.

Goats seem to be bottomless pits -- mine, on a new field are ravenous acting, even if just fed! They love to take a few bites and move along for more of the buffet sampling.

So long as they're moving well, normal poop, active...you can feel all is good. You have minerals, copper & baking soda covered. Don't over fed pellets.

CincyFarmGirl

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you for the quick response. How much time should goats spend ruminating? I do see them lying down but I don’t see that much chewing their cud going on.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just a note -- you know they will debark the trees until tree dies -- you know that, right? Yeah, they love them to death. Mature trees, hard bark, less eating. But young trees -- 😵‍💫. Also vines. All leaves go, it dies. Honeysuckle, grape, blackberries, etc...

CincyFarmGirl

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yes, so I guess I’ll surround the tree with a fence because I don’t like them to kill the tree. They already killed two smoke bushes. As cute as they are I can’t tolerate them killing the trees. I hope I’m not too late.