What is the EATS act?

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
From what I did read on it, it sounds like California has already passed the laws telling the farms in other states how to produce the food if they want to sell it in CA, and this EATS thing is to abolish those CA laws. (To not allow any states to make such laws.)

And it sounds like CA (obviously) is opposed to that, so they are trying to spin it like the EATS law is going to be restrictive to the individual states rights to make laws. It is actually. It seems to restrict the states’ abilities to regulate what food they want to import from other states. In other words, it’s a law to stop any state from inhibiting interstate commerce.

IMO, all laws are restrictive to one party or another, taking away what could be called a freedom. In this case they’re trying to take away the right of California (or other bully states) to tell other states they can’t sell their legally produced food in CA if it doesn’t meet CA’s laws, even though the food meets the laws of the state it originated in. So California wants to be the tail that wags the dog, and EATS is trying to say no, you can’t do that.

I agree with @farmerjan that it’s a slippery slope, and California has already started down it. This EATS seems to be an attempt to put the brakes on it.

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
And I agree with @Mini Horses that if it’s too restrictive to sell food to California, the other states will just sell to each other and overseas, EXCEPT, that California is such a huge market, that many companies will just comply.

The letter @rachels.haven posted makes it sound like many companies/farms have already invested heavily towards that. And will lose their investment if EATS passes. (They won’t lose their investment. They will still be able to produce food to more restrictive standards if they want to. It will just be voluntary instead of coerced.)

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
In this case they’re trying to take away the right of California (or other bully states) to tell other states they can’t sell their legally produced food in CA if it doesn’t meet CA’s laws, even though the food meets the laws of the state it originated in. So California wants to be the tail that wags the dog, and EATS is trying to say no

That's how I read it also. CA can have their state laws but cannot restrict sales of product from other states not a part of their restrictions, within their state.

This rabbit hole led me into chambers along the way.

The entire ag system is under such scrutiny, with predicted population of people on planet Earth into 2030 ... Saying soil depletion, climate change, system failures -- everything -- 😱 -- that we will ALL be fighting food insecurity.

I used to say a garden, flock of chickens, couple dairy goats...would be all I'd need. Ok, I'm adding my guns & maybe a couple aggressive guard dogs to that! 🤣 Screw the naysayers...I'll hermit for life!!

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's how I read it also. CA can have their state laws but cannot restrict sales of product from other states not a part of their restrictions, within their state.

This rabbit hole led me into chambers along the way.

The entire ag system is under such scrutiny, with predicted population of people on planet Earth into 2030 ... Saying soil depletion, climate change, system failures -- everything -- 😱 -- that we will ALL be fighting food insecurity.

I used to say a garden, flock of chickens, couple dairy goats...would be all I'd need. Ok, I'm adding my guns & maybe a couple aggressive guard dogs to that! 🤣 Screw the naysayers...I'll hermit for life!!
I wanted to both 😍 and 🤣 this one!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
United Nations Agenda 2030 and Agenda 2050 is coming at us, our children and grandchildren. We just had Agenda 2021, it didn’t go too well for me. Basically the Powers That Be, want to reduce the world population down to two billion. I don’t see any of them committing suicide, so they must mean us. Our previous president dropped us out of the UN. Our present president signed us back up. Dont believe it? It’s on the UN website in flowery happy language. Gonna be happy for whom? All I got to say is, Remember the Alamo.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ya know -- I am not thrilled for the list of presidential candidates to vote for. Not wanting former or current pres in that position again. The few others have issues.

So, what say you, Bay -- you & me can run together !??! Wouldn't THAT be a fun & productive team? 🤭😳

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ya know -- I am not thrilled for the list of presidential candidates to vote for. Not wanting former or current pres in that position again. The few others have issues.

So, what say you, Bay -- you & me can run together !??! Wouldn't THAT be a fun & productive team? 🤭😳
We take no prisoners! BWAHAHAHA!

Latest posts