2024 SageHill Lambing (the newbie joins in)

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Starting up
My own lambing thread. I was hoping that I’d start the new year with a new lamb on the first. Instead I took care of a ewe who thought prolapse would be a good learning experience for me. Sigh. I’d ordered the prolapse harnesses (2 is always better than one) last week and of course they aren’t here so I fashioned one out of vet wrap. As the saying goes - “saw it on YouTube “ 😆
It wasn’t hard to do, though the ring in circles in a tight pen was a bit dizzying 😵. Got ‘er done. 👍🏼 checked her often through the day and all was well.
Today Jan 2 I’m officially hopping into the lambing thread. Sipping morning coffee and checking the sheep cams all looked normal. Sheep count normal and then……..
a new voice! A baby voice. Chugged the rest of my coffee, threw on my jacket and boots and went to the barn.
No it wasn’t Ms Prolapse she’s still sporting her homemade prolapse vet wrap harness. Needed a tad bit of adjustment (of course because vet wrap stretches). The new voice in the barn came from a ewe lamb that Silver had. I knew She was pregnant and bagging up, but thought it would be at least a few days. SURPRISE!
Active lamb 😊 - kinda knew who mom was, but mom - Silver - wasn’t too sure, or at least sure enough to let the little one nurse. She’d obviously cleaned her up 😊.
So being Tuesday it’s clean stall day I quickly cleaned out the lamb stall and built a makeshift jug with existing panels (damn didn’t decide and order panels yet - another woulda shoulda coulda dang it). Got mom and baby in the jug and held mom so the lamb could nurse. She’d been trying everywhere but when she’d get close to target teat mom would move away. A little TLC from me and she got a good feeding and actually nursed on both teats. I checked and both work 😊.
All is good 😊 love this life.
IMG_2554.jpeg
IMG_2560.jpeg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congratulations on the beautiful ewe lamb! It’s exasperating when the lamb is trying so hard to get something to eat and the ewe is freaked out by this THING! You did good, Silver did good, lamb has got a full tummy and now Silver knows what to do.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks! It looks like she's nursing some, though I'm still helping just to make sure. Silver is getting better but not quite where I'd like her to be. Such is life, and I'm part of the picture. So tough - have to be with a nice ewe and a sweet lamb - sooo hard. ;) :D =D

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
She'll improve in a day or two. FF anxieties.

Had a FF goat yrs back that had trips... Looked at those wet, wiggly things like "WTH?". They had all just shot out so fast. That was a fun day. But all turned out ok about day 3 😊.
She's doing ok so far - just doesn't want to stand still for nursing. Silver will nuzzle her, talk to her, and when I hold Silver for nursing she'll let down her milk so that's all positive. Looking like this may be a learning year when it comes to lambing. :)

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ms Prolapse lambed this morning. Caught her in labor on the stall cam and went over to the barn. Gloved up and saw we had a stillborn ram lamb. There was no waking him up. He seemed to have a large goat like head.
Sure looked like there would be another lamb so I checked (glad to have gloved up). I could feel a hoof and a nose - no second hoof. Today I ended up pulling my first lamb! Alive 😊. A ram lamb.
Looks like mama is a good one (though this will be her only lamb).
He’s still figuring things out.
IMG_2755.jpeg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That’s a beautiful ram lamb. You mentioned banding him and keeping him as a wether. Great idea, so he can be your working sheep to train dogs. Some good came out of this. I’ll call that a Win.