Anatolian Pyrenees

Sequestered Ridge Ranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Going to go look at a Anatolian Pyrenees, this is going to be my first LGD. Anything in particular I should look for in picking this feller out? My plan is to slowly introduce it to the poultry and eventually move it in with it with a door for him to go in and out as he pleases. Many mornings as possible with weather is to take him for a walk around the properties letting him know where home is. Should I get a leash for him or will he follow as a pup till he knows what is what? He won't free range as a puppy, nearest any dog is, is about 3 miles away.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Leash. Dont walk the property. LGDs don’t respect imaginary lines. Some don’t respect feces. They aren’t particularly noted for good recall either. Independent thinkers, THEY decide.

If you have a SECURE FENCED AREA, leash, and walk that. You don’t need to give them ideas about going to guard 10 miles away.

Great Pyrenees roam. If their feet are on it, it is theirs. If they see it, that is theirs too. Some do not roan, exceptions to every rule. I had 2. Female climbed fences like a cat, and dug like an excavator. Male jumped and was darn good at it.

Anatolians are more close guards, staying with the flock. Back to exceptions, some will roam. I have 3. Buford, the biggest, could easily go over the fence, but he doesn’t know he can. Or maybe he just doesn’t want to, or maybe I’m a brilliant trainer and he’s my star student.

Sheba is 3/4 Anatolian and 1/4 GP. She doesn’t roam. She loves her work.
Sentry is half Anatolian, 1/4 GP, 1/4 Akbash and is a Bad Ass. Extremely protective, chases away birds of prey, taught Sheba and Buford.

@Ridgetop started an Anatolian thread. It’s got good information in it.

I have threads for all my dogs. Paris was the first one, a free chicken killing throw away and a psychopath. Trip was #2 and a great dog, then came Sentry, Sheba and Buford. Read them in that order. I went from ignorant to a decent LGD owner. My first 2 taught me more than I ever taught them. I am grateful to them both.

Click on my name. Then click on my name again. Click on find, then click on threads.

Truly you are about to embark on a journey of your life. You are about to find out and understand thousands of years of an unbelievable partnership between man and dog. It will change your life.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
What predators do you have? What is the predator pressure? Your puppy is a snack right now, and will be until he’s about a year or two old. If you have wolf or coyote packs, one dog is not enough. The wolves and coyotes know if a dog is alone, will gang up on , overpower and kill/eat him. Bears, cougars, one dog is not enough. You may need 2 at a minimum.

Your chickens maybe best served in a moat configuration. LGDs do not bond to poultry. They will also help themselves to eggs. If you have a field fenced around the coop, the dog can guard the area until it gets the idea that the poultry is his to guard. Some dogs accept poultry immediately, some could care less and some put poultry on the menu. Putting the dog in the coop might be more temptation than is bearable. Kinda setting up for failure.

Having 2 pups, is both good and bad. Twice the mischief! LOL but on the other hand, LGDs are a more primitive type than Labradors or cocker spaniels. They are pack animals and need companionship. They instinctively know when out numbered and need that back up. I recommend a male and female. First heat is usually about a year old.. second heat at 18 months. It’s best to wait until 18 months to 2 years to spay, same with neutering. With brother sister pair, you don’t want puppies. Neutered and spayed, they will keep their minds on work and not romance 10 miles away.

Choose a puppy that is confident, not cowed down. Choose a puppy that comes to you over an aloof puppy that wants nothing to do with you. Choose a puppy with good bone structure, good conformation.

How old are these puppies?

Sequestered Ridge Ranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
What predators do you have? What is the predator pressure? Your puppy is a snack right now, and will be until he’s about a year or two old. If you have wolf or coyote packs, one dog is not enough. The wolves and coyotes know if a dog is alone, will gang up on , overpower and kill/eat him. Bears, cougars, one dog is not enough. You may need 2 at a minimum.

Your chickens maybe best served in a moat configuration. LGDs do not bond to poultry. They will also help themselves to eggs. If you have a field fenced around the coop, the dog can guard the area until it gets the idea that the poultry is his to guard. Some dogs accept poultry immediately, some could care less and some put poultry on the menu. Putting the dog in the coop might be more temptation than is bearable. Kinda setting up for failure.

Having 2 pups, is both good and bad. Twice the mischief! LOL but on the other hand, LGDs are a more primitive type than Labradors or cocker spaniels. They are pack animals and need companionship. They instinctively know when out numbered and need that back up. I recommend a male and female. First heat is usually about a year old.. second heat at 18 months. It’s best to wait until 18 months to 2 years to spay, same with neutering. With brother sister pair, you don’t want puppies. Neutered and spayed, they will keep their minds on work and not romance 10 miles away.

Choose a puppy that is confident, not cowed down. Choose a puppy that comes to you over an aloof puppy that wants nothing to do with you. Choose a puppy with good bone structure, good conformation.

How old are these puppies?
We have foxes, coyotes, hawks, raptors, bob cats, bears and cougars. With these ducks they lay between 0400 to 0700 hrs and nothing after though sometimes rare one egg will randomly pop up. I know that as pup they will want to play thinking the other animal will play back, well he hasn't messed with a 20 lb pissed off goose yet that is very protective of the flock. This LGD came from a place with poultry, goats, sheep and cows as it what I was looking for. These pups are 6 weeks old, and the one I picked isn't rambunctious, didn't run from me, just sitting back chilling and observing as another one was chewing on the ranch hands hand, and others blindly running in every direction, but my way.
IMG_6617.jpeg

Meet Pooch or I think that's his name, he looked like he is going to be big, the rest weren't so square, more of narrow looking. Here is the advertisement pictures.
o_2c40e51b335bdd06a3aec9eaf73cb1a5.jpg
o_03ffebab8d39bc75cbab0674130405e4.jpg

There was seven males and 2 females, time I got there, there was 5 males left.

Sequestered Ridge Ranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
6 weeks is too young for a LGD pup. 8 weeks minimum, 12 weeks is best. But lots of big breed puppies eat a lot and some people just can’t keep them that long.
He is a good looking guy.
Welp so far I got him to the Waddle Wattle Inn, sat him on the ramp and he just stood there like what? Found a guinea fowl out a usual one, shooed it back in, walked up to him and flew over. Takes some coaxing, but he follows 10 to 20 feet at a time and did few chores with him in tow knowing what is what. He is downstairs in the pole barn in the cat house, hasn't came out or made a sound yet. I designed him a house I need to build from grain bin sheets. Going to sell these locally and maybe further, be good to have a model for pictures.
Little bit of rough sawed wood, used grain bin sheets, angle iron for corners and frame, then some insulation. Here is my design.
1705724075882.png

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
OMG. Puppy picture time ❤️ ❤️
I just "rescued" :lol: an old LGD --- actually kept him in place on my home, called his owner (a sweet gal) and she came and got him. He son wasn't good about closing the gate when he left. I know the dog and his owner. So "rescue" doesn't count - I was just first person on the round up crew ;).
gunnie.jpg

Gunnie - protector of goats

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
OMG. Puppy picture time ❤️ ❤️
I just "rescued" :lol: an old LGD --- actually kept him in place on my home, called his owner (a sweet gal) and she came and got him. He son wasn't good about closing the gate when he left. I know the dog and his owner. So "rescue" doesn't count - I was just first person on the round up crew ;).
View attachment 104077
Gunnie - protector of goats

I know his owners are grateful!