Can i raise on a half acre?

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your best bet for night lodging is a barn/shed with doors and a roof. Where I had sheep before coyotes would get into the night pen and drag sheep out. Not something you want to see. You’re definitely going to need something to protect against coyotes

halfacrehomesteader

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We are going to have them in a lean to shed with the pens inside the shed. Hadn't planned on putting a door on the shed but maybe I should? The pens all will have doors but I'm thinking I should put something over the top of the pens so that they will literally be locked in with no way for coyotes to get to them. I'm hoping I won't have too much trouble during the day since it's a fairly populated area and we will have them in an electric enclosure.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe instead of a solid door, you could fashion doors framed out, over. sheep and goat panels. Coyotes can’t chew through those or crawl through the holes. Then there would still be air flow through the shed.

You may not need a LGD. If you are in a fairly protected area, a couple of big farm dogs might be all you need. That’s something you’ll have to weigh out for yourself.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
A cover and a door of some sort. Could be framed hog panel of some sort. Where I had sheep before the might pen was “extended” upward with cattle/hog panels to a height of 8’.
Remember that coyotes will also dig under so some sort of apron fencing (on/under the ground) is needed esp where you’ve got a lot of coyotes. My DS and DDIL lost all their chickens a month ago because of coyotes digging under. They live in a populated area on about 1/3 acre right next to town.

halfacrehomesteader

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
A cover and a door of some sort. Could be framed hog panel of some sort. Where I had sheep before the might pen was “extended” upward with cattle/hog panels to a height of 8’.
Remember that coyotes will also dig under so some sort of apron fencing (on/under the ground) is needed esp where you’ve got a lot of coyotes. My DS and DDIL lost all their chickens a month ago because of coyotes digging under. They live in a populated area on about 1/3 acre right next to town.
I didn't even think about an Apron around the pen. I have some left over hardware cloth from my chickens pen so I could use that. Stinking coyotes. I guess they have to eat too but I don't want it to be my animals. 😬