Canesisters 2024 journal

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well THAT was an interesting day!
😁
Tested out just fine. Moved to phase 2 in the Creel (racks that organize 600-700 20lb spools of fiber & feed into the machine that makes fabric).
BUT THEN I was told that I will be the pilot guinea pig for a program to train someone on both positions, Creel & Beamer (machine that takes the hundreds of fibers & makes them into a fabric and then rolls it onto a beam) at the same time.
Apparently I've impressed someone.... ? I've been told that they are VERY picky about giving anybody charge over the Beamer.
I'm looking forward to the challenge.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Apparently you feel more comfortable with the job that has no desk! 🤣🤣👍 Have you been on nights yet or is this daytime for training?
It's daytime for several more weeks. The crews on the daytime rotating schedules come & go around us (there's 3 new folks). When 1 crew works, I train with them in the creel. When the other works, I train with their operator on the Beamer.

And YES! I am much more comfortable working with my hands than what I was doing before. It helps Tremendously that I know that if I get it wrong they will show me again, and again. And if I'm still not getting it they will have other people show me who will explain it slightly differently until I do get it.
Earlier this week I watched a guy in phase 3 try over & over & over to splice. Each failed try meant that the supervisor had to catch the missed fiber end & do several steps to fix it. Nobody got mad. Nobody made him feel bad. Everyone encouraged him. Yesterday he got his first successful splice & EVERYONE celebrated!! 🎉🎉😁 I mean: LOUD cheers, high fives, fist bumps, dancing little jigs in the isle celebrating!!!! One of the engineers ran out of her office to see what the commotion was about! When she heard, even she gave him a big smile & 2 thumbs up from across the plant.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
What a positive environment! That is certainly better than the backstabbing, cutthroat attitude of where you were before.

I always loved jobs where I worked with my hands. I’ve been a Class B machine operator, I learned to weld, I roofed houses and 3 story apartments, plus I was always up in the middle of whatever my Daddy and Grandpa were doing. I drifted off into sales, with my gift of gab, I was good at it and made a good living. I NEVER wanted to work in an office in a nest of witches. I probably would have cussed them out and quit by day 2. LOL

You are in a good place, night shift won’t be bad. You will get used to it and adjust your inner rhythm to the hours. Usually less “bosses” on night shift to mess with you. You won’t have the mental strain and waiting for the hammer to fall because you did something wrong. You won’t be doing someone else’s work plus yours because running machines just doesn’t let you do that.

I’m really glad that you are happy and the pressure to be perfect is gone.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm thrilled that you made the change(s) and seem to have found the satisfaction and style of work you deserve! I love the cheers part, teamwork!

K-cups! Did you know there are 3 scoops in each one? Yep...1 cup if used that way. Open 2 of them and use a drip machine for a whole pot -- not 2 cups! 🤔😋. That's how you get thru the week.😂

My PSA to ya. 👍

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
@farmerjan here are some recent picts of Blossom. She is slightly thinner than normal. I tried to insist that they clean up the last of the bale that was in the feeder & they said they'd rather starve to death eating the barely existing spring grass. They got a fresh bale this evening 🙄 She's not tall at all, as you can see compared to the hay ring, but she's stout.
20240324_185941.jpg
20240324_190000.jpg

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just from the pics I'd say she is 400+ ... yeah, a bit short... she would not make "grade" but then I am not such a big proponent of graded animals anyway.... She was born Nov 2023???? 5 months???? Thought she was older.... she looks good . Yeah, still worth $800-$1000....
Prices here are even higher than 2 weeks ago... A group of 387 lb steer calves brought $4.02 / lb last Friday.... Steers.... $1500+ UNBELIEVABLE.... and baby calves were in the $500-900 range ... Heifers in general were running in the $2.00-2.75 ....PER POUND range.
Yep, she is worth at least $1000.....

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just from the pics I'd say she is 400+ ... yeah, a bit short... she would not make "grade" but then I am not such a big proponent of graded animals anyway.... She was born Nov 2023???? 5 months???? Thought she was older.... she looks good . Yeah, still worth $800-$1000....
Prices here are even higher than 2 weeks ago... A group of 387 lb steer calves brought $4.02 / lb last Friday.... Steers.... $1500+ UNBELIEVABLE.... and baby calves were in the $500-900 range ... Heifers in general were running in the $2.00-2.75 ....PER POUND range.
Yep, she is worth at least $1000.....
I mis-spoke, she was a year old this past November.
So she's almost 1.5 yrs