Desperately need help after lambing, overesting disease, 1st delivery moms

Tina's LucyGraycee

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yes, you can use most any paint on them... at this point, they will be shedding out in the spring so it won't matter...even oil based paint will not hurt them... I mean, it's not like they will be taking a bath in it... some on their head/back etc is not going to hurt them. They just use the water ased paint at the stockyard here so it can be washed off easily....

I am sorry, I should have suggested you contact the auction barn about having them hauled... but it seemed that you had things pretty well in hand... EVERY auction/stockyard/sale barn will have some one, or a list of people, who do hauling and yes... it will cost something.. but they will come, load and haul and takes the load off someone like you that does not have a truck/trailer and such to do the hauling...
It sounds like you got it planned out pretty good, now...
Fingers 🤞. I think so too! Thank you

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
You have to force the nipples in their mouth and not let them spit it out... really seems like force feeding until they actually start to get some of it down their throat and they start to suck... are you using a lamb nipple... the little ones that screw on a pop/soda bottle???? It is hard to explain how to hold them and make them take the nipple... especially ones that small... but they will spit it out, play with it, and just "not get it"... until they actually get some of the milk to go down and they swallow it...and you need 3 hands sometimes to hold them and hold the bottle and hold their face/mouth in the palm of your hand to get them to actually have to drink it... and it has to be warm so they don't get tummy aches in the beginning... and do not give them more than 2-4 ounces at a feeding... especially in the beginning...

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Kneel/squat down and put lamb or kid between your knees facing out away from you. Hold bottle with one hand, open mouth with other hand and stick nipple in, then hold mouth closed around nipple with palm under chin and thumb over top of muzzle. Baby will try to back away from the nipple, but it will just be backing into your body, and you can hold it with your knees. Squirt a little milk into mouth. Once baby realizes that there is milk in the nipple it will start to suck. If kids are weak you can add some Karo to the milk for extra energy and to make it sweet.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I squat and put them between my legs, face out left hand under their chin and bottle in with right hand. After they get some in mouth, tasty stuff thoughts happen -- they usually start to nurse. Warm, like for a human baby. I normally use goat milk if I'm milking any....their own mom if trying to bond them but, in your case you can't. I'd use 50/50 canned evaporated milk and warm water. Fast and I doubt you'll have them there much longer. 🫂🥰

Tina's LucyGraycee

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You have to force the nipples in their mouth and not let them spit it out... really seems like force feeding until they actually start to get some of it down their throat and they start to suck... are you using a lamb nipple... the little ones that screw on a pop/soda bottle???? It is hard to explain how to hold them and make them take the nipple... especially ones that small... but they will spit it out, play with it, and just "not get it"... until they actually get some of the milk to go down and they swallow it...and you need 3 hands sometimes to hold them and hold the bottle and hold their face/mouth in the palm of your hand to get them to actually have to drink it... and it has to be warm so they don't get tummy aches in the beginning... and do not give them more than 2-4 ounces at a feeding... especially in the beginning...
Yes they screw on top soda bottle. Someone told me not to hold their head to high or straight up they might get choke. Put my hand between front legs bottle tilted at upward angle to mimic way momas utters hang. I have trouble with getn all of it put together before milk gets cold. I really think if I can get her to taste milk as hungry as she is I believe she'll eventually take . So thanks I'll keep trying.

What about putting some thing lik honey, molasses on nipple?
I just squeezed out little milk to wipe on nipple.

Tina's LucyGraycee

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I squat and put them between my legs, face out left hand under their chin and bottle in with right hand. After they get some in mouth, tasty stuff thoughts happen -- they usually start to nurse. Warm, like for a human baby. I normally use goat milk if I'm milking any....their own mom if trying to bond them but, in your case you can't. I'd use 50/50 canned evaporated milk and warm water. Fast and I doubt you'll have them there much longer. 🫂🥰
Yeah just rest of this wk. I did get evaporated milk other day about making a formula. So I'll try carnation 50/50 in case it's powdered milk to see if it's what she doesn't like.

Tina's LucyGraycee

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
OK thanks