Hair Sheep Color Genetics

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love the colors too. Let’s face it, white is boring. Uniform same color and pattern is boring. Even so, you learn their faces and mannerisms and can tell them apart. I have Miranda’s triplet daughters and I have to check ear tags on them. Different colors and patterns are like a bouquet of flowers!

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
So was thinking I would always get white lambs from Mr. Snickers but that is wrong. There are two ways to get a visually all white sheep either:
1) black sheep Wt in Agouti pattern loci
2) brown or black with double SS in spotting loci covering sheep 99.9% with white spots.

All my buff tan girls are brown sheep with a Wt in Agouti loci. For Snickers option:
1) I should get close to 50/50 buff tan and white lambs
2) A single brown or black lamb, would prove this with color of lamb will give away Snicker's base color.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
In horses we call it "minimal pinto".....🤣

Had a stallion who appeared to be a "washed out" buckskin...save a few white patches on a lower rear leg. But so many genetics!! The dark brown points, mane/tail ... Those tiny spots. A rainbow of colors and some wild pinto foals. 🤣

I used to get real involved with the horse colorings. Now, I just look at my goats and smile at every kidding.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Let’s face it, white is boring. Uniform same color and pattern is boring.
:ep :th

I recognize a lot of mine depending on what flock they came from. The home bred ones are harder. That means I am getting uniformity in type though, so I am happy. :celebrate The ones I really recognize are the ones with definite personalities. The fewer you have the easier to recognize facial and body structure in the flock. Having all white also makes it easier to cull bad temperament or faults. No need to keep a particular color pattern hoping to produce more of the same.

I am considering getting a paint branding kit so I can sort and brand their numbers on them with paint. Easy then to ID. LOL

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
So lovely Cocoa gave me some more clues on Mr Snickers. Close visual inspection shows no color spots even super tiny ones. So he is Bb with agouti wht pattern (Option 1) before.

Cocoa is bb,aa+s,++.
Cocoa.jpg