Hello all!!! I'm excited to join BYH!!

Lulu VanTuckett

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hey there!! I'm very excited to finally be a part of BYH!! I've been obsessed with Backyard Chickens for a couple of years now and can definitely attribute the survival of my flock to the website. Although technically I guess I don't have a heard yet.
4 days ago I approachedabout a rescued 3 week old St. Croix ram. His mother had rejected him so this couple got him when he was 7 hours old. They bottle fed him all day and all night. This little dude is absolutely socialized. I have him in a crate in the house at night. Here in Texas we've been blessed with 60+ degree winter weather so he's out in the yard when we're at work. He's been such a pleasure and I've been wanting to get a small flock of sheep.
So I do have a few questions... I know VERY little about sheep.
•Would two sheep be an ok sized flock? I have about 3 acres and a lot of that is woods. I really don't want more than two or three.

I have the St. Croix ram. I was considering getting one or two miniature ewes. I don't have any desire in breeding them. I want to get Dingo Dan (that's the ram) castrated so he'll be more docile.
•Is there a good miniature breed for milking?
•And will there be any problems with the St Croix and the miniture girls? I can't imagine what problem there would be but I have to ask.
•I read that the St. Croix can get up to 200 lbs. Can anyone give me an estimate of how tall he will be??

I think that's all... for now.

If anyone has any advice right off the bat I would greatly appreciate it.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
A big howdy and welcome from a fellow Texan, where you know the stars at night are big and bright! You seem destined to have a flock of sheep to keep your flock of chickens company. Glad you found us. I raise goaties and don't know much about sheep, except some are incredibly cute, like Dingo Dan. I'm sure some of the sheep folk will be able to give you some guidance.

We love pictures, please and thank you.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Ummm.... @The Curly girl ? Why did you make a new member name? Why the change in stories? Confused...:hu:hu

Dingo-Dan the lamb is an almost 2 week old St. Croix Sheep (ram) who was rejected by his mother. The man who owned him told my husband he didn't have the time to bottle feed the lamb, which means he would die cus his mom wasn't letting him eat at all...and would kick him. He was 7 hrs old when we went and picked him up.
<---dated Jan 15th

4 days ago I approachedabout a rescued 3 week old St. Croix ram. His mother had rejected him so this couple got him when he was 7 hours old. They bottle fed him all day and all night. This little dude is absolutely socialized. I have him in a crate in the house at night.

Treat your sheep kinda like you treat your chickens... they need to be inside a shelter/barn at night where coyotes can't get to him. He needs an area fenced off...

This is very good information! Thank you so much... I don't have chickens hahaha...

I've been obsessed with Backyard Chickens for a couple of years now and can definitely attribute the survival of my flock to the website.

Well I live in a 360 acre ranch... Our house is surrounded by woods/nature...

I have about 3 acres and a lot of that is woods.

Sorry... I don't get it?

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
:welcome

Ummm.... @The Curly girl ? Why did you make a new member name? Why the change in stories? Confused...:hu:hu

<---dated Jan 15th

Sorry... I don't get it?

I noticed the same thing @Latestarter
I was going to ask but didn't want to come off as rude....
@The Curly girl 's lamb is also named Dingo Dan....

4 days ago I approached about a rescued 3 week old St. Croix ram. His mother had rejected him so this couple got him when he was 7 hours old. They bottle fed him all day and all night.
@Lulu VanTuckett did this person give you this lamb? Look at the profile.. http://www.backyardherds.com/members/the-curly-girl.14222/

I think everyone is a bit confused LOL

Regardless of everything else, WELCOME TO BYH! :frow

Last edited:

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Well, I am normally not a rude person... I mean I try not to be. Was just asking because I was/still am confused. It's just that the posts are almost identical... virtually word for word...