Hera's Story

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
IMG_20231216_133422~2.jpg

Hera is a 7yr old spayed Anatolian female. She's been protecting sheep for Howell Farms in Oklahoma. They had 40 acre property with ~15 acres of pasture and 8 acres for home barn complex. I met them in March when I purchased my 6 ewes from them. They have completed their herd sellout and Hera needs a new home. When I posted about my coyote woes, they reached out.

Hera has a past ACL injury that limits her some so a smaller farm is ideal. She loved cheap wieners in the morning and sleeping outside. She likes sheep better than people and kids better than adults. 5 days till we go get her!

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like perfection!! She'll just need to adapt. No doubt she'll recognize your bought ewes and that will help. Bruno & Biscuit intros may be slower. But, with new land also, maybe smoother. They all have their personality limits & quirks.

She is beautiful. 😊. I'm envious.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don’t know who to be excited the most for, Hera or your family. I know she will have love and the best care. I also know you will respect her and let her teach you. The knowledge you gain from Hera will be a privilege. This is fabulous. Hera has a new beginning.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
So happy for you. I have been worried about your sheep without an LGD. First stray dogs and now the coyotes knowing that Bruno is an indoor dog. Coyotes are very cunning and will scope out a place before deciding to make a foray. Even with her ACL injury, Hera's mere presence will be a deterrent.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
Tomorrow we DRIVE! Here is my list of what I will have on hand, am I missing anything?

-crate that fits in back seat of truck or XXL cage in pickup bed if that crate is too small
-new collar tag with our info
-tractive GPS unit
-12ft all metal lead for potty breaks
-chew bone for crate
-some hot dogs
-shopping bags
-paper towels
-enzyme spray