Just bought a new horse as a first timer, normal or not?

Jayjaymeriix

Just born
Reaction score
I bought. 4 year old TB mare, and a 16 year old Morgan/draft mix. Both have coggins papers and shots and have had their feet done recently, so I was just hanging out with the horses and the gelding was peeing yellow (normal) but towards the end their was dark brown/red streaks in his pee. I spent quite a bit of money and don’t have any extra to spend right now

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, could be nothing or something. Keep an eye on him, check temp, watch his activity level. Sometimes something they eat can cause urine color changes. Be sure he's drinking well. A horse will sometimes drink less when there is a change in their usual water source -- yes can taste different.

Don't know where you are but heat requires more water. Check to be sure their water source has not become to warm to drink. I often dump and refill here in VA in these 95+ temps, or too hot.

Report back and let us know, please.

Jayjaymeriix

Just born
Reaction score
Well, could be nothing or something. Keep an eye on him, check temp, watch his activity level. Sometimes something they eat can cause urine color changes. Be sure he's drinking well. A horse will sometimes drink less when there is a change in their usual water source -- yes can taste different.

Don't know where you are but heat requires more water. Check to be sure their water source has not become to warm to drink. I often dump and refill here in VA in these 95+ temps, or too hot.

Report back and let us know, please.
He’s acting fine, and walking around and stuff. I filled their water bucket up around 4 hours but it’s just a trough bucket and it’s like halfway gone