Mini Horses 2024 kidding

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Time for a thread...

Started today -- Inky gave me twin doelings🥰

It's dark ... Just got in from bedding mom & twins does born about 4ish. Plus closing another in her kidding stall -- where she was waiting and calling to me ( that's Brat for ya!). She'll kid 4-8 hr I'm guessing. Hay, water, feed, extra bedding -- gonna be 28-30 in morn 🥴

Now I can eat. Glad I came home from work sooner than I'd planned. 👍. I'll check on Brat in a while.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pictures tomorrow....it's night time 🤣

Just came in from checking on Brat and she was cleaning placenta. Twin doelings nursing!! 🥰 Left a dim nightlight for her in barn. 10:20 inside for night, bedtime soon since kidding over. It's been a night!! 😊. A good one.

Cold out!! But far better in the barns. Whew. Fresh, deep straw bedding...another doe in barn near Brats stall. Check her while out there 😳 to be kinda sure -- doesn't look ready -- Next week?

I have goats out standing around. Lot of moonlight out there, plus nightlights 🤷 they'll go in their barn when ready.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
So yesterday, as Inky came to feed, I noticed tight teats and knew she'd kid very soon. At work, I chose not to start on another job there as it would take longer than I wanted to stay. Thankful I can make those decisions without a problem. (Only great thing about my job!) Came home, at hay feed, no Inky. She never misses a meal. Went and found her with dry kids 😊 moved them into stalls. Fed, watered, etc.

Go out, hear soft calling from other barn -- there's Brat at her fav stall....so, readied that quickly. She was double the bag size of morning and kids had dropped, just starting mucus rear. 😳 That was fast but, not her first rodeo. 3 hrs later twins were out. Glad I had everything on hand & waiting. 👍

Need to take phone for pics -- rarely carry it for chores but, will today. And intense butt checks on 4 other girls getting close. These two are dairy does, have a FF meat girl I'm watching close, finding kids this morn not would shock me -- but, thinking today/tomorrow. 🤷 Prob 3 more dairy girls next week. Hope Maribelle is still holding because it's really cold out!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I always carry phone outside. It’s my “Help I’ve fallen and I can’t get up!” My son wanted me to get the call button to hang around my neck, so I promised to always carry phone. So it’s always handy for snapping pictures. My phone is overloaded with tons of sheep pictures!

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses - Yee Haw! Baby time, lol. Two more kids made their appearance here yesterday. Buck/doe twins out of my old buck that passed a few weeks ago. Up to 8 live kids now - 3 doelings, 5 bucklings...ugh.

I always carry phone outside. It’s my “Help I’ve fallen and I can’t get up!”
Ditto! DH asks me if I have my phone with me every time I go out the door.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Feeding done....yesterday's 4 kids had full tummies, moms eating/drinking. Found a FF having a kid -- not one I expected to be -- but had to help her get head out. Now, the little boy is hollering "maaama" & she's just standing!! Like in shock. To be honest, it's worrying to me! So came in for towels, phone and ??? Shes not doing things. Heard one little reply from her. This is a new one for me. Concerning. Back later with pics and report.

Of course, she did this in a most inappropriate place! 😞 Not used to leading, gonna be fun 🥴🤞

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
My first one this year was similar to start. She was a first timer. I would hold her so the lamb could nurse. Smooshed her against the stall wall in a corner. Then I set up a 4x4 jug and put her in there with a repeat of holding her. Ended up with her tied for a night - accidental tie, thank God it was all ok - and after that she was fine and is a great mama ewe now.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I've had my share of that 🙄. She was having a hard time passing and I had to help. Saw a tiny tear and she was a little swollen. I think she was just so sore, didn't want to move. A buckling, of course but, very active. She started to pass placenta and stopped...swollen & hurt to push?🤔 Mostly ignored the kid. Eventually a couple sniffs and slight reply to his calls. Not a friendly doe and not gonna be caught after what just happened. So, she ventured out for hay with others 🙄😳🥴. I got a bottle and some colostrum from other two gals. Fed the boy and he settled a little. She actually answered his cries later. I gave him a little more bottle, from frozen I'd thawed.

So tonight he's trying to follow her & she responding some. Just checked and he's cuddled in barn, she's standing next to him. There's hope! She's prob feeling better. Anyway we will see what tomorrow brings. I have a pen ready for them, hope she'll follow his cries, like most, as I carry him. Had things gone well at birthing, the nursing would have kicked in hormones to expell afterbirth. Seems their little bit of talking helped as she dropped it tonight.

There's hope!!

I'm tired from all day mothering & room service to others....cking their girls. Of course I had a couple loads of clothes from every imaginable fluid -- changed 2x....got the all washed/dried & ready for tomorrow. 😵‍💫. It's gonna rain.

Oh, I ran to hay dealer for some lovely 2nd cut OG/ALF hay, extra feed and home, unloaded. Any job work was date changed.🫣

Best photos I could do until weekend. 🤷We've got milk!

IMG_20240222_085728765.jpg
IMG_20240221_190834190_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg
IMG_20240222_085827565.jpg

Latest posts