New member from Texas

Jeanette56

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I joined BYH in August and I am finally doing an intro.
I have poultry of all kinds (chickens, quail, turkeys, peafowl, pheasants, and guineas) and I found out about BYH over at BYC.
We bought a small herd of young Dorper sheep yesterday, so now I have a herd to talk about :frow
I have absolutely no experience with sheep so I am going to have Lots of questions!
I have been reading through various pages and articles and I know I will be able to learn a lot from you all.

Jeanette
Texas

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings Jeanette56 :frowfrom the front range in Colorado! :welcome! I hope to be moving to the great state of TX next summer. There are a lot of nice TX folks on here and I'm sure they'll be sending you greets right shortly :D =D If you haven't met some of the sheep folks on here already, you will soon enough! I'm certain they'll be more than happy to help with your questions. As you've probably already noticed, there's a wealth of info already presented in existing threads.

Anyway, you're not learning reading this, so I'll let you get back to more educational (and entertaining) reading :caf! Welcome again and glad you finally joined the fray! Enjoy!

Jeanette56

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
What part of Texas will you be moving to Latestarter?
We have friends in Colorado! It is beautiful there, but I'm not crazy about cold weather so I wouldn't be interested in living there.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Have been doing land/home searches but not ready to move till next summer. Ideally it will be about 1/2 way on a straight line between Houston and Shreveport, LA. Concentrating on the area in Nacogdoches County and the seven surrounding counties. Alternatively, the counties north of that 2 deep along the LA border. I'd like to stay 2-3 hours away from large cities minimum.

It is beautiful here, and I am NOT a huge fan or heat and humidity, but I AM a huge fan of no state income taxes and promoting personal freedoms (vice oppressive govt controls). :duc:hide:thumbsup

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Ohio! I have sheep, too. How many dorpers do you have, and what are your plans for them? Meat, wool, etc?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome Jeanette56!! Glad to have you here! I am from the Tyler area.

Jeanette56

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
norseofcourse We bought 10 young Dorper sheep - 9 ewes and 1 ram. They are all less than a year old, but I'm pretty sure that a few of the ewes are already pregnant :woot
We will raise them for meat and lamb sales. At least that is the plan!