New to sheep/goats - a strange request

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
and of course here in CA God only knows what implications feeding someone else's livestock are.
As unpleasant as it is, I would keep my hands off their animals. Idiots like this would probably sue you because you “fed” their animals something and “made them sick”.

Definitely document what you can and report it to animal control.

Hard to believe those sheep aren’t dropping dead like flies after a year of nothing but bread and living in what’s essentially a dry lot.

ConcernedSheep

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
As unpleasant as it is, I would keep my hands off their animals. Idiots like this would probably sue you because you “fed” their animals something and “made them sick”.

Definitely document what you can and report it to animal control.

Hard to believe those sheep aren’t dropping dead like flies after a year of nothing but bread and living in what’s essentially a dry lot.

Yeah... I think you're right. I guess since it's been raining here in CA and the grass is green, that's helping?

ConcernedSheep

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I missed that.
Guess them using the land has to be in their lease and they agreed to it.
Guess they need to turn their eyes away and ignore it or keep track and report to AC once they have a ton of evidence. Though, they rarely care when it comes to livestock.

Thankfully the landlord was really nice about our letter, and seems to be more than willing to have the owner move the animals elsewhere. It won't help them, but it will prevent the mistreatment from happening under our noses...

Now I guess we have to figure out what to do with all that space, and how to keep it mowed! But no amount of yard work is worth animal suffering.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have to agree with @Finnie on the hands off... Goat mineral has added copper, which they need... sheep can get copper toxicity from too much... a case of you "poisoning" his animals, if any were to just die. STOP feeding/supplementing them for your own safety.....plain white salt block would be safer but at this point I think that you need to remove yourself and all "help" from the situation.

Hard as it is, they are not your animals... if owner kicks him off, then you can pursue other ways to "turn him in" but you are putting yourself in a bad situation with the way these animal rights nuts are nowadays...

This may sound hard, but they are animals... sheep and goats can have great personalities and become pets and such... but they are animals with a purpose of reproducing and providing meat and such for their caretaker. I am NOT saying that abuse or neglect is okay... IT IS NOT... and your caring about them is wonderful....

Bread is not acceptable for a "feed"... our cows like bread and will take it from your hand... like a slice or 2 as a treat... and I personally do not like feeding bread but my son's gf insists on it... grrrr..... good way to get bitten too.....

Owner must be pretty da#@ STUPID to think that the ram will breed, and settle (get pregnant) the female goat.... so finally got a billy goat... OMG......

ConcernedSheep

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have to agree with @Finnie on the hands off... Goat mineral has added copper, which they need... sheep can get copper toxicity from too much... a case of you "poisoning" his animals, if any were to just die. STOP feeding/supplementing them for your own safety.....plain white salt block would be safer but at this point I think that you need to remove yourself and all "help" from the situation.

Hard as it is, they are not your animals... if owner kicks him off, then you can pursue other ways to "turn him in" but you are putting yourself in a bad situation with the way these animal rights nuts are nowadays...

This may sound hard, but they are animals... sheep and goats can have great personalities and become pets and such... but they are animals with a purpose of reproducing and providing meat and such for their caretaker. I am NOT saying that abuse or neglect is okay... IT IS NOT... and your caring about them is wonderful....

Bread is not acceptable for a "feed"... our cows like bread and will take it from your hand... like a slice or 2 as a treat... and I personally do not like feeding bread but my son's gf insists on it... grrrr..... good way to get bitten too.....

Owner must be pretty da#@ STUPID to think that the ram will breed, and settle (get pregnant) the female goat.... so finally got a billy goat... OMG......

I definitely know about the dangers of sheep & copper toxicity (I spent a couple hours researching, more than the owner has done surely) so I am always sure to only give it to the goats! But I appreciate the information nonetheless and I do agree 100% that the hands-off approach is best, especially as things have escalated.

ConcernedSheep

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
A couple sheep would be fine.🙂. Maybe do that yourselves. Grass eaten, animals loved.,,🥰

We'll see! I'd be pretty hesitant to commit to raising my own livestock on rented land, if we ever had to move it could put us in a tough spot. But perhaps we could help the landlord find a more responsible person willing to graze their animals here. I'll have to research how long to let the land rest to let pests disperse, and if there are any things we can do in the meantime to help restore it.

ConcernedSheep

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score

Just wanted to add, also, that we are pragmatic about food animals... husband and I come from families full of farmers and hunters. We plan to raise our own meat birds. If anything, though, I believe they should be raised with the utmost care, respect, and most importantly hygiene, which is definitely not what is happening here.