Newborn goat and CDT Shot

GreatDaneMommy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My Nigerian dwarf doe had a baby buckling 2 days ago. I suspected she was pregnant but I'm totally new to all this. Baby is nursing and is gaining weight. My question is the momma didn't get her CDT shot while pregnant. I thought I read a baby needs a CDT shot between 1 to 3 days after birth if this was the case. Does anyone have experience with this?

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My Nigerian dwarf doe had a baby buckling 2 days ago. I suspected she was pregnant but I'm totally new to all this. Baby is nursing and is gaining weight. My question is the momma didn't get her CDT shot while pregnant. I thought I read a baby needs a CDT shot between 1 to 3 days after birth if this was the case. Does anyone have experience with this?
Goats should be vaccinated annually and preferably semi-annually (every 6 months) according to a suitable primary vaccination schedule, especially if the demand or risk of disease is considered high. We still have our own at regular intervals

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Since mom was not vaccinated give with in 1 week then a booster in 3-4 weeks. Then annually.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
If seriously concerned I believe you can give tetanus antitoxin to gain a few weeks of temporary coverage until they are old enough for the tetanus toxoid. (Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, more experienced goaters.)

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
One of my young stay at home mom goat friends just lost a 2 week doeling to enteritis, the CD part of CD and T, who's mom HAD had CD&T shot within a month of kidding. At one point she did vaccinate very early, but she had a goat have a bad negative reaction to it once in a "too" young animal. Their immunes systems may also not be strong enough to mount a response to the vaccine at all, but the desire is out there to vaccinate young. I would not mind vaccinating kids at birth like human babies if I was sure they didn't run a chance of anaphylaxis reaction like she'd had and if I could be sure it worked. I wish there was more research on this and better vaccines...but that's how it seems to always go with goats.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
If seriously concerned I believe you can give tetanus antitoxin to gain a few weeks of temporary coverage until they are old enough for the tetanus toxoid. (Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, more experienced goaters.)
If you really want vaccines for your Goats, Clostridial Enterotoximia Defense (Over-Eating Disease) + Tetanus, Critical 3 + T, Visual CD-T with Spur-50 Dose, Clostridium Perfringens Forms C & D Antitoxin, CL Bacterin Vaccine, Pasteurella (Pneumonia) Vaccine, Tetanus Toxoid, Tetanus Toxoid Concentrate.

Latest posts