Pine tar packing paste

jambi1214

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hello!!!
Has anyone used pine tar / packing paste on sheep hooves. This is for ongoing sheep foot rot.
Or can anyone think of any concerns to try it?
Thanks

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I never have had foot rot. I don’t know anything about pint tar. Maybe try one foot and see what happens? How many sheep are affected?

jambi1214

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We have been battling this close to a year. Got rid of worst sheep with it and down to last prob 3 or 4 and have been treating. One wether is struggling so doing antibiotics now and soaks but picked up this paste and have it to try but thought I'd check with y'all :) thanks!

jambi1214

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Not really! :( We have been working with the vet the whole year and her and her husband even took some too treat and although there are antibiotics and meds that help nothing has eradicated this bacteria. I wish there was just a shot.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I used pine tar for a horse with a hoof abscess. I had an old vet that did things in traditional ways. After draining the abscess he packed the hoof with pine tar (and I think maybe turpentine) and then cut a pad out of carpet. He carried a coupe carpet samples in his truck to use for this. Then he wound the pad on with vet wrap and jafter that he covered the vet wrap with layers of duct tape to keep it on. He came every day for a couple days (old vet more concerned with the animal's health than with $$$). He taught me how to do the packing and rebandaging. Had to keep her in the barn. After a couple weeks the pad came off and she was good as new. Pine tar has been around for a long time and back in the day it was used extensively for hoof problems in horses.

It will be worth a try for your sheep. Trim the hoof close then pack with pine tar and put on a pad ver it. Use the vet wrap then the duct tape to hold it on. A horse's hoof has more area and better shape to hold on tape but definitely worth trying. Let us know how it goes. Have you used Copper Sulfate on the hooves?

This is the same vet that took care of my old mare that developed cellulitis from a puncture wound. He taught me how to scrape the skin to remove poison and how to clean out the 6" deep wound using a Water Pic with iodine. Had to clean out the puncture 3x daily. It was just behind her armpit and I had to do it crouched on the ground under her belly. After the first 4 days with my 12 year old son using a twitch she just accepted it and I could tie her to the gate and do it alone. I loved that mare. Amazing what could be done. She was on antibiotics and it took about 2 months but she pulled through just fine.

Wonderful vet - he had been a farrier until he was 45-50 years od Then decided to become a vet. Couldn't get into vet school in US due to his age so went out of the country (Virgin Islands maybe?) to vet school. Came back and passed the exams and set up in his truck. Only did large livestock. Terrific guy. Also taught me to make a drench with pills by grinding them in a coffee grinder and adding to water. Easier to drench a horse than get a giant pill down her throat! Add a little molasses and they drink it right down. Needless to say, my medical cupboard contains a Water Pic and coffee grinder! :gig

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
You've probably already gone through this.. but with cows, in addition to antibiotics, I've heard that it's recommended to soak the affected foot a couple times daily. I'd have to do some googleing to check but I'd imagine a soak in hot water/Epsom salts & a bit of bleach followed by a good drench of iodine can't hurt????
In cows, it's the skin between the toes that is the problem. Is it the same in sheep?

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not really! :( We have been working with the vet the whole year and her and her husband even took some too treat and although there are antibiotics and meds that help nothing has eradicated this bacteria. I wish there was just a shot.

Zactran is approved off-label for use in sheep for hoof rot, and it is extremely effective! I would also do copper wire particle and zinc boluses for the whole herd, as well as topical LA200 on the affected hooves. You can also take diaper rash cream (a zinc oxide based formula) and mix it with zinc sulfate powder (available from Premier 1 supplies) for an extra-strong zinc cream that is waterproof and great for rotten hooves. So the treatment would be:

1. Dose with Zactran injectable (ask your vet for dose) and LA200 topically (liberally). DO NOT trim hooves, this can spread disease or worsen infection. Only trim enough to where you can get into the rotten part of the hoof to apply medicines. Scrub and bleach hoof trimming shears between animals and sometimes between feet.

2. Bolus copper wire particle boluses and/or zinc pills/zinc sulfate powder boluses to all flock members (ask your vet for dosages).

3. Over the next week, apply the extra-strength zinc cream daily to affected hooves.

4. Remove sheep from infected ground and add barn lime to any heavily trafficked and wet areas to kill bacteria lingering in the soil.

Good luck, hoof rot is not fun! But it can be controlled and sometimes eliminated.

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
You've probably already gone through this.. but with cows, in addition to antibiotics, I've heard that it's recommended to soak the affected foot a couple times daily. I'd have to do some googleing to check but I'd imagine a soak in hot water/Epsom salts & a bit of bleach followed by a good drench of iodine can't hurt????
In cows, it's the skin between the toes that is the problem. Is it the same in sheep?

The between the hooves is called hoof scald in sheep and is treated with similar methods. The hoof scald bacteria are easier to eliminate than the combination of bacteria and fungi that are involved with true hoof rot.

I agree with the treatment you've laid out as well!

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
I used pine tar for a horse with a hoof abscess. I had an old vet that did things in traditional ways. After draining the abscess he packed the hoof with pine tar (and I think maybe turpentine) and then cut a pad out of carpet. He carried a coupe carpet samples in his truck to use for this. Then he wound the pad on with vet wrap and jafter that he covered the vet wrap with layers of duct tape to keep it on. He came every day for a couple days (old vet more concerned with the animal's health than with $$$). He taught me how to do the packing and rebandaging. Had to keep her in the barn. After a couple weeks the pad came off and she was good as new. Pine tar has been around for a long time and back in the day it was used extensively for hoof problems in horses.

It will be worth a try for your sheep. Trim the hoof close then pack with pine tar and put on a pad ver it. Use the vet wrap then the duct tape to hold it on. A horse's hoof has more area and better shape to hold on tape but definitely worth trying. Let us know how it goes. Have you used Copper Sulfate on the hooves?

This is the same vet that took care of my old mare that developed cellulitis from a puncture wound. He taught me how to scrape the skin to remove poison and how to clean out the 6" deep wound using a Water Pic with iodine. Had to clean out the puncture 3x daily. It was just behind her armpit and I had to do it crouched on the ground under her belly. After the first 4 days with my 12 year old son using a twitch she just accepted it and I could tie her to the gate and do it alone. I loved that mare. Amazing what could be done. She was on antibiotics and it took about 2 months but she pulled through just fine.

Wonderful vet - he had been a farrier until he was 45-50 years od Then decided to become a vet. Couldn't get into vet school in US due to his age so went out of the country (Virgin Islands maybe?) to vet school. Came back and passed the exams and set up in his truck. Only did large livestock. Terrific guy. Also taught me to make a drench with pills by grinding them in a coffee grinder and adding to water. Easier to drench a horse than get a giant pill down her throat! Add a little molasses and they drink it right down. Needless to say, my medical cupboard contains a Water Pic and coffee grinder! :gig
The heck with his age when he tried to get into vet school - back then there were only ~20 vet schools in the entire country with an average class size of 18. Yeah - I know those numbers well, 'twas going to my direction but quantitative analysis Chem 350 was my downfall.
We need more like him and less of the "have to do this test, that test, MRI, ...."