The chicken nerd

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello
I’ve been lurking around for a while but this is my first time posting. I’m thinking of getting 2 or 3 Shetland ewes in the next year and have questions
First, I live in the city legally I can keep miniature livestock, including Shetland sheep, but I live on a 5,000 sq foot lot would that be ok for the sheep they would have mostly free access to my yard.
Second, I’ve never really been around a lot of livestock (horses and poultry mostly) so generally any information you guys want to share about housing, feeding, care, etc. would be much appreciated
Thanks in advance
- The chicken nerd

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!
How much of that 5,000 square foot lot is available for the sheep? If you have a 3500 square foot house on it, that doesn’t leave much. If you have neighbors right up against you, they might not appreciate the BAA BAA BAA BAA BAA of the sheep, might not like the flies that livestock attract, to their hamburger cookouts, either.

Would these be pets? I would advise a couple of wethers. Are you interested in learning how to shear, and use the wool to knit and crochet with?

Where are you located? We have a member that has Shetland sheep @secuono

The chicken nerd

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!
How much of that 5,000 square foot lot is available for the sheep? If you have a 3500 square foot house on it, that doesn’t leave much. If you have neighbors right up against you, they might not appreciate the BAA BAA BAA BAA BAA of the sheep, might not like the flies that livestock attract, to their hamburger cookouts, either.

Would these be pets? I would advise a couple of wethers. Are you interested in learning how to shear, and use the wool to knit and crochet with?

My house is about 1200 sq feet
I do have neighbor’s right next to my property but we already have a flock of 21 chickens and ducks so I can’t imagine that the flys and noise would be to much worse on are neighbors

I’m planning on using them as pets and for 4H (I already show poultry and am getting into showing horses)

I’m located near seattle area

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

I have Babydoll Southdowns, not shetlands. :)

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
That space is not ideal, but with planning, you could make it work. They would have to be fed hay year-round and you’d need to think about what you are doing with the bedding/manure/waste hay, etc. Does your yard tend to get muddy? You might need to put down gravel to keep them dry.

You would also need good fences, especially for naughty little Shetlands.

You say you want to use them for 4-H. Are you planning to breed them? What happens after they are too old to show? Not sure how your youth/4-H shows work, but ours had “aged ewe” classes so that the kids with only a handful of sheep could continue showing them past yearlings.