rachels.haven's Journal

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
No matter where you buy lumber, you need to sight along the length to make sure it is not warped. Then if it is "green" lumber, store it out of the rain and damp if possible, to avoid warping at your place. The cheap lumber is usually green, but you can get good stuff if you are careful about sorting through it. Some customers leave the sorted bad lumber just laying around in the aisle so some stores are starting to get annoyed when you sort through the stacks. I never have any trouble, but I make sure to replace all the unwanted pieces. LOL

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
No matter where you buy lumber, you need to sight along the length to make sure it is not warped. Then if it is "green" lumber, store it out of the rain and damp if possible, to avoid warping at your place. The cheap lumber is usually green, but you can get good stuff if you are careful about sorting through it. Some customers leave the sorted bad lumber just laying around in the aisle so some stores are starting to get annoyed when you sort through the stacks. I never have any trouble, but I make sure to replace all the unwanted pieces. LOL
Our Lowe's carries terrible wood. I need another lumber store (and Lowes is NOT cheap to boot!)

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
You do realize that it was Child Labor....You could get in "trouble"....hahahahaha
:lol:I had him sit on it. I borrowed his mass.

We also discussed seeing how things go together and how to copy them (without taking everything apart and trying to break everything). If I build another I think he's going to be right there. A kid's got to learn, and I'd love it if he'd learn construction instead of destruction.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
...I discovered today I have enough milk stands for each milker to have one so I can milk them all at once.

So...behold, ONE STRING TO MILK THEM ALL!
UDDER BUTTS.jpg

...It's so tempting to keep ALL eight stands. I may just have to build five more nice ones, and THEN sell the small ones and just have 8 stands. Definitely jives with our plans to relocate...totally.
But seriously, milking went so fast today! Which was good because now we're having severe weather!

:weee no more tornadoes please!

Last edited:

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had him sit on it. I borrowed his mass.
If anyone complained to social services, you could explain that he was on a time out. LOL
We used to have the kids do a lot with us when we were building and remodeling. They earned to do it themselves and now can build anything. Child labor keeps kids out of mischief.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's an opportunity for us to spend time.

DH has changed moving targets to the DC office where we can locate in the country on the commuter train line in MD and he can take it in so he can not drive if he doesn't want to (1 hour train ride va 1 hour drive here currently), the kids can have good schools, and I can keep my goats. We found a really nice one today I really wish we could move into tomorrow that's basically plug and play for all of us.

His boss wants him in DC.

Latest posts