RESOLVED: Ewe w Stuck Dead Baby

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
In South Africa Dorper ranchers don't bother helping ewes with bad presentations. They figure if the ewe dies OK. Of course, those ranchers have several thousand sheep on the veldt and lots of big predators so maybe it makes sense to let nature kill off ewes that take too long lambing. Here I can't afford to lose any animals. Ewes with poor presenting lambs at one lambing go on to have trouble free later deliveries. If the animal continues to have problems then it is time to cull, but I am not going to ignore a ewe in trouble just because my breed is supposed to be problem free lambing. If I can save lambs and the ewe I will.

You did great @Margali and you can dry her up and rebreed her in another month as long as she is in good body condition. She will probably recycle in a month or two anyway since she is a Katahdin. They are similar to Dorpers in cycling. @SageHill you did great pulling that lamb too. The first time is the hardest since you are worried that you are doing it right.

Next time you will be all set to go into the ewe and sort out twins and trips that are tangled! LOL