SageHill Ranch Journal

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
get bigger ones (the long metal ones that hold like 100 gallons or something) and let them get some algae and put a few feeder goldfish in them... they will eat the mosquito larvae, work on some of the algae... and many even will breed and give you tons of little goldfish...
We did that with the 100 gallon horse troughs. DH would wonder why his goldfish kept disappearing. One day he was admiring a couple large white birds by the troughs and asked what kind they were. I started laughing and told him it was an egret. After that he would run outside to scare them off whenever they appeared. LOL

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sheep count down by 5 today. Two ram lambs went as pets (to also become wethers) nearby. Two ram lambs and the prolapse ewe dropped off at the auction. There always seems to be someone there or gets there to buy off the trailer before the auction. Last time I sold, fair price. This time I didn't. Too much hemming and hawing when I stated a price. Time will tell in the end if I was smart or not. Though as we were about to pull out a large trailer load of sheep and goats unloaded. Of course I had to check them out - woah, I do feel better about not selling off the trailer. The entire trailer was all ratty looking skinny as all get out. Guess I'm doing something right.
IMG_6706.JPEG

My sheep at the auction yard. Auction is on Wednesday.

I look forward to the day I can have more lambs to go to market. Of course when that time comes I'll be wondering
should I break them up into two different auction days. LOL I'm probably over a year away from that - but making progress. Need to breed the ewes first of course.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
I got my check from the auction --- I did good - the lambs went for $3/ lb. Must be doing something right. And of course a lot of guidance from you all on BYH. :thumbsup
Oh and drove passed the 2 lambs I sold as pets - they are happily eating away at their new home. I did say sheepy sheepy sheepies and they picked up their heads, don't think I'll call out to them often though - it's just nice to see them and know I was part of that happening.
Edit - checked my math 3.52/lb! Woo hoo.

Last edited:

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just heard from the gal who bought the two lambs for pets - I get to see them every time I drive passed her place - and she is over the moon with them. And -- she's got a big container of animals crackers too (you all spread that "madness" well :lol:). One of them is the one I had to pull and then supplement - and also hung around and followed me doing chores for weeks, heck he always wanted to come out and visit. It's nice when things happen like that. :)

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you got a big container of Animal crackers I would follow you around too. They use to sell them at Wally World in town, but took them off the shelf. So to get them anymore I have to drive 160 miles one way to get them.
We can find them at Walmart, Target and she found them at Costco. I buy 2 or 3 jugs of them at a time. I don’t go through them fast but they’re good stock up on.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I got my check from the auction --- I did good - the lambs went for $3/ lb. Must be doing something right. And of course a lot of guidance from you all on BYH. :thumbsup
Oh and drove passed the 2 lambs I sold as pets - they are happily eating away at their new home. I did say sheepy sheepy sheepies and they picked up their heads, don't think I'll call out to them often though - it's just nice to see them and know I was part of that happening.
Edit - checked my math 3.52/lb! Woo hoo.
:weee