Urgent need of advice/help

CrabbyGranny

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So I THOUGHT I was calm and could handle it but now it's here and I'm terrified. My doe is pregnant and starting to have a bit of bloody discharge. (Only hints of blood) she's already bagged up pretty much (though I don't know how big she'll bag up as this is both of our first delivery)
Can u tell me how long approximately I should have?

Signed.... pooping myself in fear!!!

blessedfarmgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on your first birth. Don't panic, most of the time goats deliver without any problems. Has she progressed any? Pics of her rear end and udder might help. Do you know when she was exposed to a buck?

blessedfarmgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Also, if you can, try to feel on either side of the base of her tail. There are ligaments on each side that feel like pencils normally, then soften when she gets close to birth. When they are very soft and almost gone, she should kid in 12-24 hours. Her belly will hollow out and the kids will drop.
Is she a first time mom?

CrabbyGranny

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Also, if you can, try to feel on either side of the base of her tail. There are ligaments on each side that feel like pencils normally, then soften when she gets close to birth. When they are very soft and almost gone, she should kid in 12-24 hours. Her belly will hollow out and the kids will drop.
Is she a first time mom?
She is. The ligaments seem like they are still pretty firm. I started checking them a few days ago and they haven't changed much. The discharge is extremely minimal but enough that I can see it.

I bought her from a couple who told me she was on the far side of 2 yrs and she'd never taken when they exposed her to their bucks so they didn't believe she could kid. I bought her to replace my other little doe after losing her because I didn't want my little (5 mo) buck to be alone. They are extremely tight and in my ignorance I thought they'd be ok because they got along so well and she couldn't kid. He drove her a bit crazy when he was in rut (I guess?) but she'd just put him in check or torture him by running around the tree so he couldn't catch her. ... over... and over. So honestly? He may have gotten to her at any point. (Huge lesson learned) I should have been a better Goat Mama but I'll do better in the future. He will soon be a banded.

blessedfarmgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sounds like you've got things under control so far and knew what you're looking for! Most likely you'll wake up one morning to some healthy kids. Do you have any basic kidding supplies on hand?

Keep us updated! There are many other awesome goat and sheep owners on here that I've learned a ton from. You're in good hands.

CrabbyGranny

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Sounds like you've got things under control so far and knew what you're looking for! Most likely you'll wake up one morning to some healthy kids. Do you have any basic kidding supplies on hand?

Keep us updated! There are many other awesome goat and sheep owners on here that I've learned a ton from. You're in good hands.
Hi! So her ligaments are completely soft, I can't feel them at all this am but they seemed normal last pm. Her bag is also a bit larger but she hasn't changed at all as far as any real discharge or anything like that. She keeps making tiny little sounds that sound almost like little hiccups. I've gone through multiple births with my daughters and wasn't half as scared/nervous.🤷🏻‍♀️

CrabbyGranny

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hey ya'll, how often should I be checking on Hot Lips now that her ligaments appear to have softened completely? Should I be staying with her?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Won't be long...just wait. That's usually the hardest part. Most often they kiss without issue. It's amazing!

ETA...just watch frequently, don't annoy her. When she's up & down within minutes, you'll know she's gonna push very soon. Hey, I love her name!😁