Urgent need of advice/help

CrabbyGranny

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hey Ya'll! I just wanted thank everyone fire their help and support. I think I'd have lost my mind without ya'lls encouragement and calm voices of reason, so again, thank you!

CrabbyGranny

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
They will drink what they need. Their tummies are not big enough to hold much. If you figure that they can only hold a couple ounces at a time it will be less worrisome. If you want to reassure yourself, put your fingers behind the ribs and gently squeeze a bit. If the sides collapse like an empty bag they are empty, if it feels sort of like a soft ball their tums are full. If they are hungry they will cry and mama will check on them and they will nurse. They will eat when they are hungry. A hungry baby is a healthy baby.
Thank you so much!! I don't know how I missed this response. I've been trying not to stress or hover......... but they're just so tiny. and cute!😁🤣

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You are doing fine. Mom knows what to do and babies know how to nurse. Take a deep breath, relax and enjoy!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
On average, they will only drink what their stomachs can hold... for tiny babies like that you are talking a few ounces... they will drink frequently, then play for a few minutes, then fall in a heap and sleep... If they are not walking around crying, they are getting enough.
Look at a measuring cup, how much (how little) 2 ounces is... that's all they can hold. The milk the mother is producing is also thicker and more nutritious at this point... like you drinking skim milk or drinking thick eggnog.... consistency.... thicker fills them up faster, their bodies pull more nutrients from it it travels a little slower through their gut tract so they need a little less in the beginning...