Very small doe pregnant. What do I need?!

4goatsake723

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a doe that is almost 1 yr old but she’s very small for her size, I wasn’t planning on breeding her cause of her size. Well things happen and I believe she’s pregnant. When I got her at 3 months old she had been living mostly on dog food, for this is the reason I think she stopped growing at that time.. it took a long time to get her Healthy again.. flash forward this morning I woke up and she had cream stuff coming out of her and her bag isn’t hard anymore it’s super soft and squishy. I keep checking on her and I haven’t seen the creamy stuff since. But her lady parts are all puffy. What I’m afraid of is that as of today she only weighs 31ish pounds. So what should I expect and when do we think she’s due? She had been putting a little weight on, on both sides but I thought she was just eating good. What do I need to have on hand to help her if she needs it? Thanks!!
IMG_3231.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3219.jpeg
    IMG_3219.jpeg
    722.1 KB · Views: 87

blessedfarmgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We have Nigerian dwarfs as well. I do know that 45 lbs is the recommended weight for breeding does, so she is pretty underweight. I wish I could help you, but I have never dealt with something like that before. Poor girl sounds like she had a rough life. I hope she does well under your care. Are you giving her grain and/or alfalfa? I would also recommend giving her a probiotic, that can increase rumen function and help her with any stress.
First fresheners generally start to form an udder at around 2 months or so of pregnancy, and continue to develop in the last three months. I don't know what the creamy stuff you're talking about is, but if she starts producing colostrum, you know she's getting close, usually within a few days. Also, goats have ligaments on either side of their tail that are usually stiff like pencils, but when they are within 24 hours of kidding, the ligaments soften and disappear.

4goatsake723

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yes, she has access to all that. I will give her the probiotics. Thank you for your help

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, mother nature usually helps these young ones mishaps by not letting the kids "outgrow" the uterus. I'd expect small kids and hopefully no more than twins. A single would be nice 😁. Less milk production needed. Just feed her some grains as she'll need the nutrition. The discharge could mean she's lost her plug. Maybe not. 🤷. She does appear preg in those pics. Any udder pics? Being a first freshener, she may not get a huge on. We know "when it happens" given even the best hints & experience. Keep us updated, please.

4goatsake723

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well, mother nature usually helps these young ones mishaps by not letting the kids "outgrow" the uterus. I'd expect small kids and hopefully no more than twins. A single would be nice 😁. Less milk production needed. Just feed her some grains as she'll need the nutrition. The discharge could mean she's lost her plug. Maybe not. 🤷. She does appear preg in those pics. Any udder pics? Being a first freshener, she may not get a huge on. We know "when it happens" given even the best hints & experience. Keep us updated,

4goatsake723

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I’d say around April for her.

Attachments

• IMG_3236.jpeg
    IMG_3236.jpeg
    354.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_3238.jpeg
    IMG_3238.jpeg
    342.8 KB · Views: 73

4goatsake723

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We have Nigerian dwarfs as well. I do know that 45 lbs is the recommended weight for breeding does, so she is pretty underweight. I wish I could help you, but I have never dealt with something like that before. Poor girl sounds like she had a rough life. I hope she does well under your care. Are you giving her grain and/or alfalfa? I would also recommend giving her a probiotic, that can increase rumen function and help her with any stress.
First fresheners generally start to form an udder at around 2 months or so of pregnancy, and continue to develop in the last three months. I don't know what the creamy stuff you're talking about is, but if she starts producing colostrum, you know she's getting close, usually within a few days. Also, goats have ligaments on either side of their tail that are usually stiff like pencils, but when they are within 24 hours of kidding, the ligaments soften and disappear.
I didn’t feel any ligaments when I checked.. we did feel the baby kick .

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Certainly sooner than April since a goat's gestation is only 5 months 5 days and this is September.

What size is the buck you think she was bred to? His size will be the important thing in ease of birth. While singles are good as far as her ability to produce enough milk for them is concerned, twins would be smaller than a single large kid and easier to pass through the birth canal. On the other hand, given her small size, possible lack of nutrition when breeding, and as a FF, she may have only one. This is fine since you are only concerned about a safe birth.

Don't increase her rations since you want the kid to remain small for an easier and safer birth. You can increase her feed with some grain after the kid is born and she is milking. Read up on instructions for pulling kids in case you have to help her get it out. Buy some antibacterial liquid soap to use as lubrication fluid if you have to go in and untangle or pull the kid. There is better stuff available commercially but depending on your location and what is available locally the antibacterial liquid soap will work fine. Have dry towels ready since when pulling you use them for traction on the slimy, slippery kid.

Don't stress, what will happen will happen. Odds are that she will deliver a small kid just fine on her own. I find that being prepared for the worst almost always means the worst doesn't happen. Good luck.