CLSranch a journal to compensate my lack of memory.

CLSranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I started doing/filling game/quail feeders for the ranch up the road. It's just an automatic corn feeder on a timer. Anyway, yesterday the boys didn't want to go with me. Someone else caught a sow next to one of the feeders and later I found 3 pigs under another. Well 3 that I could see. I wasn't sure about my scope's accuracy at that unknown distance (far) maybe 300yds??? I haven't shot it except to sight in the new scope at 35 yards and figured that's good for any deer hunting shot I'll need until I get to playing with the rifle/scope. I couldn't see the size of the pigs and thought I simply missed, a lot of bullet drop after 250yds. I got close to the feeder and found 3 pigs down. 1 is now in the ice chest skinned and waiting for a whole hog dinner, and waiting for good enough weather to do so.
The kids missed an exciting day and I'm darn proud of the shots even if the 2 piglets were while aiming at a bigger hog. I couldn't tell.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
3 down, I in cooler....other 2 are? These are feral hog? Geesh. Well, meat for table/freezer is a good thing 👍. Plus, a change from venison. And have you gotten a deer this year?

We have a LOT of deer & turkey here. Thankfully, no hogs! There were several hunters out yesterday and I heard some dogs running for first time this year. If I were a hunter, I could have a full freezer.😁 Have guns, just don't hunt -- although it's crossed my mind. The real issue for me is the need to then dress it out 😱 that's a job! BTDT so, I know.

CLSranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
.other 2 are? These are feral hog? Geesh. Well, meat for table/freezer is a good thing 👍. Plus, a change from venison. And have you gotten a deer this year?
2 were a little small. Would've fit perfect on the grill though (whole). Yes feral. They are all over up here. Some people pay to get them trapped off their property. No deer shot yet. I got one a neighbor's mom hit and less than half the meat was good, I also got some from a freezer clean out. Same neighbor.
Speaking of which I need to go bow hunting again. I miss the old place with a few more acres and easy deer hunting. Last time I went on a small place the neighbor showed up to hunt while I was waiting for a doe to jump the fence and come onto the right property line.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hogs can create so much damage!!! Plus, they multiply well and fast. Crop farmers sure suffer. It's way worse than deer because of the ground damage, in addition to the eats they consume. A sow and half grown litter are devastating.

If they ever become a "thing" here, I'll become a hunter!

CLSranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not to mention they can have 4 dozen piglets a year. Once established they're harder to get rid of than armadillos. Also they do a LOT more damage to a car than a deer. They can do more damage than hitting cattle of much larger size. They are solid and the rib cage doesn't collapse when hit.

CLSranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
It’s open season on hogs in Texas. You can even shoot them at night with thermal scopes or out of helicopters.
I've seen some of those video's where they do that with so many hogs they have someone reloading a gun while they shoot another gun and got hundreds of hogs in a few hours.

Found another flat tire today. It's on the welding trailer this time. I bought an old set of camper trailer axels years ago and thankfully that tire will fit after switching it to the other wheel. It's missing 3 of 4 now. One is the spare on the stock trailer and one of the tires on it is from a bad tire I took off the new & still using camper so it doesn't have a spare now. I have NO idea how old those tires are. Last time I used one was on a camper I was using and it didn't last 10 miles. :fl :fl Hopefully these get me a little farther with on these trailers.

Merry Christmas to all. Even if I'm a grinch about the holiday.

CLSranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Watching Tulsa news showing the 2023 rain fall amount. 37.28 inches. Heard a radio station the other week saying something similar. At first I thought I heard it wrong, then realized other people got more rain than us. I think we only got 4 months where it was over 1" for the whole month and they only got 2". I know some rains sent over 6" south of here and less than a half an inch here. That means in this little hole we've gotten half as much as others and less than half the normal 40". wow