Purplequeenvt - New Journal

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just got home and checked on Freyja. She’s fine, her baby is fine. It’s a boy. 😢 I *really* wanted one last girl out of her, crossbred or not. I’ll wether him that way I can love on him all I want.

Nothing obviously wrong with the dead lamb, also a ram. Looking back at saved pictures from camera (it takes a photo whenever there’s motion). Lamb #2 very quickly followed #1 and was most likely DOA. He never moved.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Freyja is perfectly content with her 1 baby.

I think Freyja needs some dentures! Poor old thing has no teeth in the front anymore.

I turned my poop mountain. The compost is looking good. It’s almost done cooking.

Twist looks good in purple! He’s wearing the shirt to keep his wound clean and prevent him messing with it.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Freyja got sick on Sunday. Mastitis. It seemed to be only on one side, but I’ve been keeping an eye on her baby and he was a little gaunt this morning. I warmed up some Jersey milk and he sucked down 6 or 7 ounces without hesitation.

She’s doing better today, ran right out to the feeder when I put feed out (she’d been staying the barn and only nibbling at grain), but I may have to continue helping with her baby from now on.

———

The ewes are out on grass all day now. I’m still shutting them in at night, but I open the gate after I’ve fed in the morning. A few loose poops, but nothing too bad.

———

Twist’s wound is healing nicely, despite the unauthorized swim, t-shirt and all, he took in the pond over the weekend. He’s so good about taking his pills. I think I said it on someone else’s journal, but I refuse to bribe my dogs to take medicine. Open the mouth, drop them in, close the mouth, wait for the swallow, and done!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hope Freyja gets better soon! I wish I had a barn, I’d pen up my big red ewe that I pulled 2 of her triplets off and leave them with her to bottle feed. But I don’t. Just temporary hoop and pallet shelters. I’ll get there, but not today!

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hope Freyja gets better soon! I wish I had a barn, I’d pen up my big red ewe that I pulled 2 of her triplets off and leave them with her to bottle feed. But I don’t. Just temporary hoop and pallet shelters. I’ll get there, but not today!

Oftentimes, the problem with trying to leave lambs that need supplementation is that mom has *just* enough milk to make them stubborn about taking the bottle. I had that issue with Xena and her little triplet brother last year. He only wanted real boobie-juice and he’d rather starve than try anything else. I think he would always have been small, but he didn’t grow well at all because he fought the bottle for so long.