SA Farm's journal

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Decision about Doll’s ewe lamb was kind of made for me when someone asked if they could get the family group. They’re scheduled to leave Saturday. I’m both happy and sad about it.

My literal favourite time of day is when I’m out there and the girls are free ranging with their lambs and they’re all eating, racing and bouncing around.
IMG_5574.jpegIMG_5579.jpegIMG_5580.jpegIMG_5582.jpegIMG_5583.jpegIMG_5584.jpeg

IMG_5590.jpeg
Coy, Dobby, Minny (ignore the ram lamb behind her)
Luna front and center.
So far it’s looking like these will be my keeper girls with Minny and Luna replacing Doll and Foxy. Minny may be a temporary keeper, but we’ll see. She doesn’t have the nicest temperament so far, but I’m hoping she’ll come around. She’s not crazy, just very standoffish. I’m sure once she realizes I’m the bringer of snacks and scritches, she’ll change her mind about me 😊

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Warm and grossly humid after the rain yesterday, but still cool enough to get some work done today. I finally started weeding my garden so I can put something in it next week. Probably some vines - tomato, squash, maybe something else.
I started digging up the thistles that are trying to take over my front yard too. These nasty things not only killed my pathetic little trowel, but also manage to poke me through my lined gardening gloves. I hate them and can’t blame the sheep for not eating them when they’re so vicious 😤
IMG_5661.jpeg

Sheepies are out in their rotational kennels now and the girls did a great job mowing the front yard this week (aside from the thistle-infested section, of course).
IMG_5662.jpeg
They’re in the last spot before crossing the driveway here.

Normally I have at least one ram lamb available to go out with Dingo, but my only remaining boy has another few weeks on mom, so poor Dingo has to go solo for a little longer. I’m also working on getting a new breeding ram lamb, so fingers crossed that happens soon so Dingo can have a buddy.
He broke one of the panels on the kennel last year (just wear and tear and rubbing on it), so I’m going to be learning how to weld it back together before too long so he and his soon-to-join-him buddies will have sufficient room.

I didn’t measure where to put the trench, but it turns out I put it in exactly the right spot lol
IMG_5667.jpeg
Obviously still have some clean up to do with all the dirt clods, but that’s a job for a less humid day. Maybe one with a cool breeze.

I also switched from milking Dobby to milking Foxy this week and this is why:
IMG_5653.jpeg
Same amount of milk - Foxy on top, Dobby on the bottom. Dobby’s milk is exactly like whole cow milk. Taste and texture is the same. Foxy, on the other hand, has the thicker, creamier and sweeter milk that I’ve come to expect from my sheep. I’m honestly happy either way, but the cheese quantity makes all the difference. (The green bits are chives.)

Also thinking about trying to make some yogurt one of these days. Maybe blend it with some honey and fruit and freeze it instead of making or buying ice cream?
One of these days 😆