The journey into the abyss of no return

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have 3 small animal shelters, bought off Craigslist, very well used. Can’t remember but I think I paid in the $400 for all 3. New ones cost about that much, at that time. My sheep still use them for shelter from rain and heat.

Maybe you could market your huts to hobby farmers with small livestock. It’s a thought.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Sequestered Ridge Ranch ; Cut or make some sort of opening/doorway on the back side. Since you do not have sows that might want to go into a more protected spot... the pigs are used to being outside, and might feel a little trapped inside... unless you got some real bad cold freezing rain, they are used to the "bury under the hay and have freedom to explode out and run" if necessary.... I had a sow that preferred to go up and hollow out a spot at the base of a big round bale... IN DECEMBER in the snow, to have her litter of piglets..... and raised all 8... she was a really good sow.... but she shunned the closed in shelter, so I let her be... she came down daily to eat, and about 6 weeks old she brought all the piglets down and in the shelter/pen she went with them... Go figure...

You might want to do an upright in the back, so that you can make a doorway about a third of the back, to swing back against the back of the building so it doesn't get torn off in a wind or something, and they can curl up on the side that is protected, but still be able to "escape" if they want to...
They are accustomed to what you provided at the first. Pigs do not like things to get changed around so much.
They might start to use it in a few days, give them time to not see it as a threat....

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
You need to consider -- your weather & time of year. Some people do not want a bunch of ducklings or chicks to tend in the COLD 🤷. I don't. Plus, give your ads some time -- same reason -- some aren't ready to address those needs until weather breaks and they NEED to house things.

So timing & patience 🤣 markets change. A "kit" may be your salvation. Size it, price, contract, good non refundable deposit -- deliver parts & assemble. Don't make up kits in ANY volume until some sales happen.