Baymule’s Journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
The past 3 weeks I’ve been helping a friend taping and floating sheetrock. He is building a barndominium. He and his wife are purely city, bought 28 acres with a small 800 square foot cabin on it couple of years ago. They were green as grass. They have learned a lot in this short time.

As many new homesteaders do, they got everything. Saint Croix sheep, black Spanish goats, Kune Kune pig, chickens, 2 red Devon heifers, and 2 Anatolian sisters. They are figuring out that they need to narrow it down to sheep, goats, Anatolians, chickens and a garden.

Wonderful people, the kind all of us would love to have for neighbors. A mutual friend introduced us. They had a ewe lamb born who couldn’t hold her head up to nurse, called me and she became a bottle baby. I called a couple of weeks later to check on the lamb and he told me he and a friend were hanging sheetrock. I offered to help with taping and floating. I worked 3 days week one, 3 days week two and 4 days this week. We have it all taped and floated as of yesterday. Most of it is sanded and 4 rooms have the second coat of mud. We are sliding into the home stretch.

My friend has Hydrocephaly ( if I spelled that right) from being thrown off a bicycle at high speed and hitting his head. That’s water on the brain. He has a shunt in his brain to keep fluids drained off. It sometimes gets stopped up and then it’s emergency life or death surgery. He has had 6 brain surgeries. Each one may be the last one.

He told me that he wants to build this nice home for his wife so she will have a nice home to live in. He’s concerned that the Lord will take him home before he finishes it. So I decided that I would see it through to get the taping and floating finished. He mentioned one morning that he spent the night before throwing up because looking up makes him violently ill. Good grief. So I told him no more trying to do the ceiling, I would do them.

I gotta tell ya’, after 3 weeks of doing sheetrock and concentrated staring at ceilings, my neck and shoulders hurt so bad last night, I could barely turn my head. I got a small glass of wine, then another and then another. Almost finished off the box of wine that has lasted over a year. Yeah, I know, I got a drinking problem. LOL

I slept until 7:30 this morning. Going for second cup of coffee. Got 2 dump truck loads of dirt coming at 9:00 and I haven’t even done chores yet. I have a lot of work to catch up on here, but I’ll go back to finish sheetrock on Monday morning.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I got chores done. It’s been cold the past few days and it’s cold now. Not northern cold, but it’s darned cold to ME! LOL

Dump truck hasn’t shown up yet, he just texted and said he’ll be here in about 30 minutes. Then I HAVE to go to town for groceries and dog food. And maybe another one of my yearly boxes of wine. Hahaha.

This is one of those posts that I had to have Teresa read. :)
❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
One load for the barn pad and one load for temporary night pen and hoop shelter. I’m going to move the 14 bred ewes to the front field. I’ve been saving the small field for them and their lambs. I’ll put Sheba with them.

It will take more loads of dirt, but this is a start. I’ll be outside tomorrow to spread dirt. Going to scoop up some to make a high spot in the front yard for the chicken tractor for the meat chickens. They are 3 weeks old, it’s time to get them out of the tubs and off the porch.

IMG_6031.jpeg